Saturday, December 1, 2007

Inspired

Have you ever believed in someone so much that you beg them to take a risk? Have you ever seen something in someone more than they see themselves? Have you ever loved someone so much that you are willing to help drive them to see what they truly have deep inside.

For the past 10 years that's what my husband has done for me. And tonight.... it's what I did for him.

The athletic resume of Curt Eggers needs no introduction. At 51 years old he's a four time national champion. He's earned a silver medal at worlds. He's done Hawaii, Ironman Canada. We have a stack of plaques so immense they are stacked in the basement.

Trouble is.... while he's done Hawaii and done Ironman Canada.... he has not reached his full potential. Not at the Ironman distance. This is a guy who should be in the low 10 hours if not 9 hour range. But his passion for distance is not strong... and he's smart for that. Why go ultra long when at 51 you can still kick around the 20 year old boys? Why go long when you can say you've been in this sport 20 years?

I want him to take one more shot. Just one more.

One of my secret goals at Ironman Florida was to inspire him. Beating his quote Ironman Time was for sure a goal. (disclaimer..... it's ridiculous to say I beat his Ironman time, even though I do. Different course, different conditions, I do realize that to truly "beat" his time it would have to be the same day, same course, etc. So while I say I beat his time I do understand that I am FOS... full of shit....).

I knew if I came in under an 11:05 (which was Curt's bad day) he would be motivated. I knew if I came in under 11 hours and still looked good.... he'd be inspired.

The morning after Ironman Florida we sat at the Waffle House. He questioned me about how I physically felt. There was no explanation needed about how I mentally felt :-) And I didn't feel too bad at all.

I asked him if he was thinking about getting a voucher. He said he was. I dropped him off in line. And I smiled.

Registration began on Nov 15th for the voucher holders, and it ended today. Just so happened that Ironman Hawaii was on TV. We watched it and while we did I filled out the online form on active.com.

Two stories caught Curt's eye. The story about the car accident victim and the story about the double leg amputee. He watched with fascination as the true meaning of the Ironman unfolded in front of our eyes.

"That inspired me." He admitted. And then I hit submit.

And my heart jumped. And I smiled again. Because this November I get to stand on the sidelines (after Ironman Lake Placid... not an issue) and I get to cheer him on again. I get to be his Iron Sherpa... and it will be my honor.

I will cater his long runs and long rides if he needs me to. I am willing to set everything aside after Ironman Lake Placid to help him attain what he has helped me attain.

One moment of glory. One day of awesome. One day of taking the chance on himself. One day of letting go, and throwing up his arms as he crosses the line.

One more shot... I begged him. Take one more shot.

I think for Curt Eggers, the third time will be a charm.

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) mary

1 comment:

BreeWee said...

I like this post! I feel motivated to get my husband going now... he really dislikes triathlon so I will try to motivate him do get back to the things he loves! What a great couple you both are!