Saturday, December 29, 2007

Pausing

Its been over a week, the workouts have been light, the coughing has subsided and this morning I feel like 100% again. So I took a day off.

WHAT?

Yes, a day off. I spent the early morning sitting by the window sipping coffee, making myself a great farm fresh egg breakfast. Curt was already out training and Luc was still asleep. And I just needed to take a moment.

Its as if I am on a roller coaster that is pausing at the top of the hill, waiting to take the big plunge. I know these next 6 months and going to fly by. A lot of work in all fronts, and lot of focus in all fronts is what is coming. I have spent the past 8 weeks recovering and planning the delicate balance that I am prepared to hold from now until the end if July.

Oops... that's 7 months.

Athletically I have set my goals, studied, broken them down. Determined what I need to do to hit those goals. With Coach T as the guide I have no worries that I will come up short.

Academically I begin Grad School in January 2009, and I have another degree to complete in the meantime. This means I have to adjust to sitting in class for 4 hours Monday evenings. If I could only bring my trainer.....

And there's more but I will spare you the details. Bottom line is I have prioritized, balanced, organized, and I have prepared for a smooth flow.

I have gotten a lot of rest and now I feel 100% recovered from the year of Iron. I am ready to begin the real work in preparation for our Carolina Training Camp in just 9 weeks. I am so glad we are doing this because it gives me a big mid winter focus. The thought of riding through mountains with some sunshine and good company is enough to almost take me out of a day off.

It will be good times for sure.

So on this Saturday morning when the Christmas snow has melted but new snow is on the way. I took a few moments to reflect, to refocus, and to sip my Jittery Joe's coffee. I took the time to sit back and watch the sunrise and wait for the little feet to come down the stairs.

Pausing, looking around, taking it all in before the roller coaster lurches forward and begins its descent.... has been the very best medicine of all.

No comments: