Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Goaltending

The season is being planned and my goals have been set. Through the past 2-3 seasons things have not gone exactly as planned, but I attribute that to a lack of dedicating myself 200% to my goals. Yes there were injuries and nutrition issues, but in reality those were within my control. Blaming other things besides me, didn't get me very far.

2007 was a great year for me. My 70.3 performances, lackluster as they had become, catapulted me into a renewed focus.

Ironman Lake Placid was the day things turned, the day I laid the demons to rest. I was flirting with 11 hours and found myself walking in a hyponatremic state. I remember making the decision, I could walk 13 miles or I could put this all to bed. I literally drank almost an entire can of table salt, but more importantly I made the decision to end the disappointments now. I was only 20 minutes off my previous best Ironman Lake Placid time after that.

As we headed into Ironman Florida Coach T gave me the kick I needed. The data proved that I could. The question was if I would. I raced Ironman Florida in completely in control of the world, knowing I could give more, go faster, but stayed within my box and myself and proved to myself that I could.

I just needed to believe it.

And so I sit here on the eve of the 2008 racing season. I want this to be my fifth and final Ironman for a little while. I love to walk away from and come back to it. So I want this fifth Iornman to be everything I can make it be. (And I can return my focus to 70.3 for a while!)

And the 2 1/2 Ironmans along the way I am bringing Mary back. The only reason I have not gone under 5 hours since my 4:48..... is because of the space between my ears.

So I am laying it down now. Here are my goals......

1. Sub 4:50 at Gulf Coast

2. Sub 4:50 at Mooseman

3. Ironman Lake Placid..... sub eleven.

My smaller goals that will help me achieve the big 3

1. Optimize my nutrition. Eat Clean.

2. Focus on the plan that Coach T creates with me

3. Run.... run...... run

I am dedicating myself 200% to this plan, to this agenda, to these goals. On July 20th I want to know I did everything I could do to get to where I want to go. I might fail, but I might not. In fact I will not.

Because as my friend E.L.F. has taught me, the race is won in my head, and as my friend Jen has taught me, I need to believe, and as my amazing coach has taught me.... I need to HTFU.

So E paced runs and sweet spot rides.... here I come. So mountains of North... or South... or whatever Carolina I am going to... here I come. So 100's on intervals that I will not allow Grimm to lap me on.... here I come.

Because if I want something I have never had, then I've got to do something I have never done. And believe me, I am ready.

:-) Mary

7 comments:

kodiacbear said...

Hey Mary, I have been lurking for some time now (kinda scary, huh) but just really wanted to let you know YOU ROCK!!! From your ER episodes (I am a Paramedic in the inner city) to your training your blog is funny and heartwarming-a nice combo. You go get 'um in 2008!

Anonymous said...

MARY!
I LOVE when people/athletes lay out their goals for everyone to see. IT IS SOO hard, but necessary to "OWN" your goals and go after them. I don't think I have ever done it, and SHOULD. You know...I am one of your biggest cheerleaders, so I say GO GO GO GO after your 08 goals. You'll nail them. :) Jen H.

BreeWee said...

VROOOOOOOMM!!! Have GREAT 2008 Mary! You already did the hardest part by publically displaying your goals! NOW we can hold you accountable, others might laugh that it is WAY fast, and then you also gained a whole bunch of cheerleaders! Have fun and go fast!

Marit C-L said...

YOU CAN DO IT! Very motivating and inspring - you INSPIRE ME to work harder, make each session count. Thank YOU! I have absoluteley not doubt that you can do this. Way to go!

Beth said...

Way to not hold back!! I agree with the others - it is really, really hard to put your goals out there publically and not make hedges like "maybe I would sort of kind of like to break 4:50 but only if the course is flat and...blah, blah, blah!" I think the more you say it, the more you believe it! And I will be cheering hard for you! :)

Brooke Myers said...

By laying it all out on the line, it gives others a chance to believe in their goals just as much and go after them more than 100%. thanks for sharing becuase that is tough to let everyone know what you want inside incase of the outcome. Stay true to your plan and enjoy it along the way. Don't be too hard on yourself either....

Wingman said...

Coach - way too lay it on the line! If you put 1/2 as much faith in your training as I've put in you, you'll shatter all those goals!