Wednesday, June 17, 2009

big wheel keep on turnin

Tuesdays are big gear rides, where wattage is the priority, as opposed to Tempo Thursday where we gauge intensity by HR. I like mixing it up, I am learning to blend power and HR correctly instead of siding with one or the other. We began this set of 3 X 10 minute repeats holding a wattage of 225. Week 2 we moved up to 230. This week, since I had made cut...... I moved up to 235.


Aiming to control the situation rather than ride the variability of the roads, I do this set on my trainer. It's essentially outside. I am in the garage. I can see the sun. Truthfully I don't care because I am here to achieve a goal not check out the scenery.

After a 30 minute warm up I began the first effort. For the first one I maintained 233 and felt a bit defeated. I knew that during #2 and #3 I needed to look a little deeper. My cadence was 5-60, I wasn't feeling bad at all, in fact I was feeling hungry.

#2 I hit 235. Excellent I thought as I dove into the recovery section. Now we need to up the ante. In order to achieve 240 these needed to remain above 235.

It means turning off my head and just riding. Pure and raw, no thoughts, just me.

And I hit #3 in 237 effectively earning me a 240 goal for next week. I know there is going to be a week where I will top off temporarily. It might be next week, but I am already wondering..... can I hold 240?????

It excites me and makes me nervous at the same time.

As my buddies and athletes are all gearing up for Lake Placid and racing all over the place I am still in the garage. Waiting. Learning. Strengthening. I know that come August I will hear "........ but I just did Lake Placid....." which is when I will begin to get rolling.

Patience, I remind myself as I for now......enjoy the view......


No comments: