Friday, June 26, 2009

home sweet home

There are a few things I love about traveling other than traveling itself.... coming home, time in the car with people I love.... and seeing new places..... okay and old places.

I am convinced that the two greatest methods of seeing a new place are on foot and by bike. In Germany I saw the best parts on bike. This morning, I met Hershey on foot. It's a small town, not overdone (it seemed) by the chocolate, but just enough of it to make it sweeter. Sweet is the word everyone associated with Hershey seems to use.

Have a sweet day! Exclaimed all the park employees! I loved it!

This morning I had a short run through chocolate town and yes, it does smell like chocolate. Not strong enough to nauseate you but enough to make you smile. The street lights are in the shape of kisses. There's the Hershey museum, and a few other novelties. Aside from that, it's a small town with pretty landscaping and nice people. What a gift in itself!

We toured Chocolate World, got our Masters Degree from Hershey University, rode more rides and had more fun. We drove home smiling, worn, sun burnt and giggling. I swear the best times I have are in the car with my guys.

I feel like my biggest gift in life is the ability to soak up every single moment. People will try to tell me to live it now... meaning my son's youth.... because before I know it he will be off to college. Trust me I soak up every single minute of him. Every single day. That is my gift. I can't think of a single second in the past 8 years that I missed. I get to see it all and I hold onto all of it.

Today Luc rode his first upside down roller coaster. Since Curt shaved his head the two of them refer to themselves as the "Bald Brothers". The bald brothers took on some of the scarier rides and I got to spectate and photograph the moments shared by a father and son. Those pictures.... those are for us. But there are lots of good shots on Face Book.

Those moments make me fall in love with Curt even deeper (sappy moment!) and allow me to rest in the warmest moments of happiness. Life is so full and rich..... and damn.... so sweet.

This is the life.... I told them as we rode the Sky View last night. This is the life.

Back home we are full of great memories, ready for a summer of many more to come. We've got adventures planned all summer. I can't freaking wait.

And to give you an exciting preview of some blog topics for next week...... you either might want to skip a week of me, or tune in because next week I will tackle three questions I am repeatedly asked:

1. Monday:

Menstruation and the competitive athlete. (for the boys who don't know.... that means your period).

2. Wednesday:

Dropping the monkey...... meaning GI distress during races. Charting yourself, runner's trots, why it happens and what to do about it.

3. Friday:

Breasts, boobs...... how to find the right support for those who have to wear a sports bra while they race. I am the expert on this one, I am a bra tester for 2 companies!

Exciting stuff gang. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

oooh, i am excited for all of your topics! i am tired of wearing two sports bras (it looks ridic under a tri jersey) and i have marks from sports bras on my chest from chafing all summer long :(

i'm glad you had fun at Hershey. god it has been so long since i've been there. i wasn't a runner then and i can't imagine running through the smell of all chocolate!

PJ said...

It's very fitting that this post is about chocolate (well not really, but...) and that you'll go right into menstruation from there. :)

Looking forward to next week's posts.

-Peej