Tuesday, June 30, 2009

report card

The other day when I embarked on my long run I was not positive that my legs would even work. Sleep deprivation + 2 days of walking around in Hershey had left both Curt and pretty trashed. How do people who are not in shape do this???? So I began the run thinking that I wouldn't be surprised if this turned into hell. But I need hell so give me hell then.

As I am learning to rely more on HR rather than pace I looped my Garmin around my Fuel Belt and I set off. I ran entirely by HR and I never looked at pace. I felt good. I felt so good I had tears in my eyes. It's been a long time since I have had a long run like this. Upon later analysis of my paces..... oh boy, I thought. It's been a while since I have run this.

It was a continuation from 3 days before, this feeling of being back. Back in my body, back on my feet, back in my health. I set out for 2 X 30 min efforts with Curt. And I dropped him. Upon returning to the house a bit later he said..... Um.... eeeks.... it's been a while since I have seen that bike form. To hear that from Curt is like him dropping down on one knee again. It makes my heart race to zone 3 all on it's own.

Musselman 1/2 Ironman is in 2 weeks. For this race we are aiming for a sub 5:08, even though I won the inaugural Musselman in a 4:48. I have let that go as the focus is here on this race and this season with this new coach.

Which brings me to the report card to answer the question I have been asked the most.....

How are things going with Coach Jesse?

My grade is an A+. And I have not even raced yet.

There are many things I really like about Jesse and his system. The first is that's it's a system. There are goals and parameters to meet each week. Meet the parameter and move up a notch.

Jesse is an excellent teacher and has proven to me that you can in fact teach an old dog new tricks. Through HR, pace and power I am learning to push myself beyond what I thought I could achieve in training. Through proper rep, during and post race fueling I am able to do the same.

The nutrition makes sense and it is real food. It's such a massive component of the training and I feel the healthiest I have felt in ages.

I like that he checks in by phone weekly or bi weekly. I like that he treats you like you are the most important athlete in his stable. I like that his methods are proven, I like that everything is measurable, I like that everything makes sense.

I like the way he puts together a week. I like that I can see where we are going. I like that we have short term goals for B races like the Musselman, longer term goals like Clearwater, and those goals that are stepping stones along the way.

I love that we've set an Ironman goal for 2010. Did I just say Ironman????? I did. More on that much later on, we have a 2009 season to focus on first.

I can't wait to race. I am feeling good, I am feeling ready to go get it and I am ready to step up a rung on this ladder.

Like I said...... A PLUS.

No comments: