Monday, June 22, 2009

Camp recap


In this current economy I am so incredibly lucky to be able to run my own business, have an athlete stable that is full, a waiting list and the ability to give out 2 coaching scholarships per year. I am anything but a necessity, triathlon would revolve just fine without me, so believe me I know what a lucky position I am in right now. I am more than lucky, I am blessed. Each person who contacts me I am fortunate for.

I have been in this sport a very long time. I am entrenched in the community of triathlon. Locally and nationally I feel like I have friends on every street corner. I consider the multisport community my family and what's really fortunate for me is that people know and understand who I am, just as I understand who they are.

A few months ago I discovered someone who was trying to bring negativity, drama, and destruction my way. It was hurtful in so many ways because I don't understand why anyone would get such pleasure out of trying to cause someone pain. In this community however, that kind of behavior is so recognized, and it was recognized for what it's worth. Those around me alerted me, and helped me move very far from the situation. What I love about this community is that it does not tolerate that kind of energy.

It's within this community that I have found love, friendship and so much more.



It's this kind of positive energy and feeling of community I get during an experience as we had this weekend, at the Weekend at Placid Part 6. Every single year camp gets better and better, with so many new faces I looked forward to what everyone would bring to the table.

My one regret from camp...... I did not take a lot of pictures. I was too immersed in the action!

This year we opened up camp to people outside our team. Dave from Ontario, Joe from Downstate, Jessica from Delaware, Jason and Charlie from Rochester and Buffalo, Bob from Massachusetts........ joined our group and it was awesome.

Most everyone arrived on Friday night, and by 3pm we had a big group ride through the run course and down the last 11 miles of the bike. The weather was warm and although it began to rain, it was a good rain. Everyone was ready, laughing, smiling and already enjoying the day.

When I was done riding I had a hill repeat workout, that I talked Sarah into. Most everyone else transitioned to a run and a swim, the plan was dinner at 7.



Sarah ran the hills great, excellent form. I could not believe that this big hill in town, the one we run for the Ironman..... was actually easier than Ward Hill Road. I couldn't' believe it. I felt stronger. I felt good, although low on calories, but I know better so push through Mary!

By 7pm we had gathered for dinner and it was wonderful to watch everyone connect and laugh and exchange their energy. I love this stuff.

Saturday morning brought us another big day. The Intermediate and 70.3 folks were riding one loop, and the Iron Folk were riding 2 loops. We all had runs off the bikes and the weather, looked like it would be cooperating.

I followed my plan, I stayed within my numbers..... I learned later that Don and I pulled a giant train around the course. I wasn't to pick it up until 2:30 and I did, right in the last 11 miles.

By the way, if you are coming to Lake Placid..... the descent into KEANE IS REPAVED. Smooth as glass! Holy FUN!

When I got to the top of Papa Bear I turned around to continue my interval, it was the kind of interval that was hard but not hard enough..... and believe me I am itching to go hard. I am beginning to froth at the mouth ready to race. That is coming..... it is coming.........

As I descended Papa Bear I got a chance to see many of the campers as they continues to climb. By this time I had sent Don ahead .... go charge I told him.... what's the worst that could happen?

Steve was riding stronger than ever. Sarah not far behind. And Kim...... the work this girl has put in has given her moon leaps on the bike. I almost begin to wonder if there is some bike envy going around. Ken, right there. Everyone looked great,

I completed my interval back on 73 and back towards town. I made a turn to try to skirt the main roads and hit the hotel from behind. Of course I am out of nutrition and get lost, ending back at the horsefarm. My calories again were a little low, but we are experimenting so this is what we have to learn.

Back at the hotel the athletes have begun to arrive. And the stories that make this kind of stuff hilarious begin to roll in. I join everyone in the unheated pool for a quick ice bath before I head out on my run. My run felt great and so did my swim. I loved the feeling of putting in good solid training and not thrashing myself.

At 4pm I was out on the kayak watching everyone swimming, taping strokes and just....... loving the feeling of sitting in the middle of the Lake...... being surrounded by such beauty.

I later learned that Fitz as we call him, had a bit of a bonk the last 11 miles of loop 2. He stopped to buy a cheeseburger, realized he was $2 short, tried to get a cash advance on his credit card.... the seller ended up feeling so bad for him ..... he gave him the Cheeseburger.

Jochen..... rode the 112. Pulled into the hotel parking lot at 4:20pm. Drove to Whiteface to register for the 8 mile climb up Whiteface.... 8 miles at an 8% grade..... because he was feeling good. Upon returning to his car he realized he had a bike with no wheels. He raced back to the hotel and then back to Whiteface and started the race 10 minutes late. 74 minutes later he popped out of the clouds at the top of Whiteface.

K dub did the race as well and brought Jochen back down the mountain. I have to admit that when I saw K Dub and E Dub pull into the hotel parking lot with Jochen's bike and a bunch of foil blankets in the waaaay back....... I feared it was Jochen in the fetal position back there.

But no, he pulled in a few minutes later, got out of his car and did a little jig for us.

Oh my GOD!

Saturday night a bunch of us had dinner at the Dancing Bear, a new restaurant in town, others headed over to the Brew Pub. The Dancing Bear was awesome and the company was even better.


Sunday morning everyone had their assigned rides and I had my own workout to do. I will write up a personal report tomorrow but I found so much on my workout on Sunday morning. And made my decision about 2010.

As we all parted ways on Sunday I was almost in tears as people thanked me. Me? They did the work! All I did was organize and laugh and have fun. It showed me that I am in the right place at the right time in this very moment. That I need to never worry about the negativity that tried to harm me....... that ....... in this community..... is seen for what it is. Which is nothing.

Kim, Ken, Alan, Bob, Jochen and I did a late morning swim in Mirror Lake. Man I love that Lake. We had a final breakfast together at Charlie's, again where I felt such an overwhelming feeling of gratitude.

As Kim and I drove home.... it was an episode of Dumb and Dumber...... 5 hours of laughing at.... well really nothing at all. Chatting Ironman, planning the final peak period..... getting ready.

When I got home the guys were waiting and I of course began to cry. I am the luckiest girl in the world to be able to do what I do.




This weekend I laughed so hard my abs hurt. I found connection with so many people, I confirmed that I am doing what I need to be doing......

Out on that course I found the girl I left here last year. The one who is ready to hold the starting line in her teeth, who loves to race and turn herself inside out while doing it.

I am almost ready my friends..... almost ready to bring it.

Thanks to everyone who made this weekend about community, friendship and all things good in this world!

4 comments:

Damie said...

Reading your blog always makes me happy. You have a gift for sharing the sport, and I would definitely attend your camp if I lived anywhere remotely near you guys. Your athletes are lucky to have you. Hope your training is going well too for your fall season!!!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Sounds like a great weekend and even better that you were out there inspiring and encouraging everyone!!! I am sure you helped everyone out a lot!

Unknown said...

This makes me really wish I could have made it!

Ange said...

I just came across your blog and realized your training camp was where my training camp was! how cool. I recognized your hotel and everything...
good luck at IMLP! I'll be there too. So glad to hear the roads are repaved! phew. I was there early in June and it was baaaaad!!