Saturday, February 24, 2007

5 Months To Go

It came through on the Train-This Yahoo Group titled with my favorite expression, and it was form Sarah......

"WOO HOO!"

The message read "5 months from today."

Any we all knew what she meant. 5 months until Ironman Lake Placid. My heart fluttered like a child on Christmas Eve. Yes, 5 months. The deposits in the Bank of Iron are accumulating and fitness is building.

I was a very good girl in recovery week. I rested, and I even sat in Curt's "Man Chair" with my feet up. Luc was on winter break so we really had some fun together. We watched movies, went to the library, went to Cracker Barrel every morning, sledding and swimming. He's getting his freestyle down nicely.

I had to warn my husband that in the next four weeks I would be dropping 10 pounds (the last 10!!!) and not to be worried. I am about to embark on my first 40 mile per week running block, and when my running mileage gets above 35, the pounds drop whether I want them to or not. The trick will be slowing them down.

But things are coming together. The swim, the bike and the run are beginning to blend as fitness is building. I feel terrific. I am not nervous about my Achilles. I am not nervous about speed, hell, I am not nervous at all.

I woke at 4:30am on this Saturday morning eager to complete my first bike test, and I was thrilled with the results. The wattage, the heart rate and the cadence came togther as I hoped it would. All of those superspins were finally taking shape. I am equally as eager for tomorrow's test.

The next block is laid out and I am revved to go. The week after next I begin a series of twice weekly brick workouts. March 12th I begin teaching spinning at RIT. I have to write a syllabus and I have to grade! WOW! It allows me to get in a terrific 1:30 ride and then head to their most amazing collection of treadmills for 1-1:30 runs afterwards. I have been able to stay off the treadmill most of the winter, but at RIT they are too easily accessible, so it becomes time to take advantage of them.

In April, 6 days apart I have 2 distance road races. The Spring Forward 9.5 miler is on April 1st and the CATS 1/2 Marathon is on the 7th. Originally I wanted to peak for both of these events. But as we took a look at the grand plan it made better sense to use them both as tempo runs. The Gulf Coast 1/2 Ironman is on May 12th, having 2 down weeks around these road races would throw off the build and taper for the 1/2 Ironman. So I had to choose. Be an April champion or shine in the races that I want to shine in? Obviously I chose the latter. At mile 20 of Ironman Florida, no one will give a rats ass about my CATS 1/2 Marathon time in April.

So........ 12 weeks till Gulf Coast
14 weeks till Weekend At Placid
16 weeks till Eagleman
20 weeks till Ironamn Lake Placid.
and months will Ironman Florida.

It will all be here before you know it. Then planning, the creating, the data collecting, it is all underway and evolving just as I do. Strong days, weak days, up days, down days. It's all part of the package.

:-) mary Eggers

No comments: