Monday, February 26, 2007

Until Sunday

I shall apologize to the three of you who check in each day, that my posts are about to slow down a bit to bi weekly or weekly. The big focus has begun and part of that is writing less, storing it in my head more, and finding that quiet time to reflect on the journey.

I stand here at the beginning of the big build, feeling really good. I am savoring how good I feel now :-) There were three words on the schedule that made my heart skip a beat with both excitement and nervousness.
Four Hour Ride.
We all remember what happened at the last four hour ride, so he's shown up again. And I am welcoming him, Thursday we will join forces and ride. There will be moments of challenge, testing, prodding, but that's what this whole Ironman gig is about.

What can I endure, how long can I endure it, and how can I remain patient as the process takes shape? Why am I here, what is my purpose? What can I withstand and how will I handle it? Will I bend or will I break?

Is my WHY big enough to make the HOW easier?

And at the end of it all, what are the lessons that will help make me stronger?

Ironman training is so much more than the physical. It's even more than nutrition. The great Karen Smyers once said that the furthest distance you have to travel on Ironman day is the distance between your ears. I once thought that I had that aspect conquered, and I learned there was more I needed to do.

So here I am. Wide open, ready to be pried apart, ready to be peeled and exposed.

Until Sunday........

:-) Mary Eggers




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are many more than 3 of us Mar, believe me. Store up that amazing energy of yours...... it is always said that near Mary in a race you can feel the energy that surrounds her, meaning you!

GO GIRL GO!