Saturday, February 10, 2007

Coming Together


With the big stuff complete for the week I am easing into my lighter training days on the weekend feeling happy about progress. Looking back I have had some rotten workout days but what matters is the attitude you carry. The attitude that I carry. It is still time in the bank of Ironman. I can't remember where I read that, but I like it. The bank of Ironman. I have made a lot of deposits.

This week I focused on continuing to build the base and gathering cycling data. I am spinning through Ironman New Zealand at 110 RPMs in Z2 and I am feeling it coming back again.

Coming into this last of build weeks for the current block it is a big running week. This will in turn lead into a big running focus as we begin to try to turn my weakness into my strength. The miles are all still base miles but the volume steadily builds through the next 12 weeks. I will be running the most I have ever run. Gulp.

I like the way it progresses though. Keep building a rock steady base and then begin adding in some hill repeats and eventually speed work. I may not touch speed work until right before Gulf Coast 1/2 Ironman. We will have a rock solid running base, which is extremely important as I will be so hyper vigilant about my previous injury.

Now that the season is mapped out, now that I can see the bigger picture, I understand the plan.

Gulf Coast leads to Eagleman, Eagleman leads to Lake Placid, and all of these races, every single workout is secondary to Ironman Florida. I know what I am capable of at Ironman Florida, and every training moment from now until then, is in preparation for that. The big finale. So I will be patient. I will be patient through all of the races as I know which one is the most important one. I know the number I am dreaming of on the Ironman Florida clock, and will a PR at a 5K in May matter then? Nope. Not at all.

The roads are clear yet it is cold, but I have hope in my heart. Most importantly I believe in me, I believe in what I can do. And with that I continue to make deposits into the Ironman bank.

:-) Mary Eggers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU GO MARY!!!!!! Yipppeee! Ironman FLorida, yeah. Jerome is doing IM FL and it is his big race of the year. I should be down there spectating w/ the kids and then going to DISNEY for a few days afterwards. :) Jen Harrison