Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Knowing When

That's the hard part about taper... knowing when. When it's enough, when it's too much. Less is more during these three weeks and we all walk the tightrope between listening to our bodies and knowing what is normal.

The residual soreness of the past 6 months is still lingering. Lower back and right Achilles. (not the left.) Nothing serious, just a little "Good morning Mary." On tap I have a 2:00 brick. 1:15 on the bike and 45 on the run. Ironman pace. Which is funny because it feels slow :-)

I do know that a great part of this day will be spent with my stick. On the floor, rolling... knowing when though...... stretching.... knowing when..... hydrating. Even with hydrating ... knowing when. I know how important finishing this week recovered is.

A little bit of ice, a little bit of rest...... these will all pass and one week from today I will safely be nestled in my Lake Placid home. A home on it's own pond, with four bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen, living room, and basement. It's own dock on the water, boats.... everything for 2 families to enjoy while their Moms kick back on the deck.... and wait.

As I sit here sipping my Portland Oregon dark roast, I hear the familiar birds. I hear them every morning as I wake at 4am. I know on this morning's ride I must be careful of the deer.... lots of baby deer out there. And the bears.

That's what I love about the morning. The quiet stillness of it. Just me, my bike and my nature pals. Finding our own rhythm with the turning of pedals, singing of birds, and the sound of my own breath.

After 15 minutes the soreness will disappear as Ironman dreams come forward. Suddenly I have found myself contemplating my fifth Ironman before I have finished my 3rd or 4th. But that's how things go in these lands of Iron. Decisions made a year in advance, before you've crossed the finish line of one and then another.

But the 2008 Ironman team is shaping up. We've got another batch of great players and I want to be part of it.

We will see.... we will see.

Until then, first things first. Time to hit the road.

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh mary! 2008 IM!!!! Why not Ironman Wisconsin???? come and visit!

Enjoy the taper! JenH.

Travis said...

A great friend of mine always reminded me of the ancient Chinese curse, "may you acheive all of your goals" - think on that one for a while :)

Rest hard.

Dances with Corgis said...

Okay, I am officially volunteering at IMLP this year, so I will be there to cheer you on :)

and "Suddenly I have found myself contemplating my fifth Ironman before I have finished my 3rd or 4th." seems to be the same boat I am in although more "contemplating my 2nd without having done my 1st" :)

You sound like you're doing well on the taper!