Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Oppertunity

Mirror Lake on Thursday morning before IMLP 2007

This morning I met Kevin, Kitima and Jeremy for my first swim since Ironman. Funny how things get put into perspective. I did a first bike ride, now a first swim. I almost did a first run last night but decided on a first walk. Welcome to week 2 of Ironman recovery, things are going much better than anticipated.

I fully expected the world to crash down on me Monday... when the Ironman glory wore off, the soreness subsided and things settled down. Rather than the crash, I am experiencing excitement. You see I thought the Ironman Florida plan began yesterday and I got ready.

"ONE MORE WEEK." Coach Trevor instructed me. I felt like Christmas Day was suddenly moved back a week. And then I saw the plan. I will admit to my eyes popping out and feeling a little frightened.

Tuesday August 14th I have a 5 K time trial. At the track. With Coach. For some reason I had visions of myself running through the woods, dreaming of Ironman glory..... lattes on long rides..... the easy life continuing.

Not so.

If I want a sub eleven performance, apparently I am going to have to work for it. And it made me smile as I looked things through. 5K time trial on a track (maybe Coach will count for me...)... time trial on the parkway on the bike to reestablish my FTP. Running focus, big bike weeks.... oh yes it is Christmas Day!

Which meant that this morning the easy life took priority. The work will be here soon enough. With the gang it took me 60 minutes to swim 30 in a beautiful lake surrounded by beautiful scenery. In what other life could it be 6:30am, as you are in the lake listening to Kitima's impressions of her mother? In what other life could you appreciate the beauty and the friendships around you, with laughter erupting from the middle of the lake? In what other life could you appreciate this?

Many other lives actually. You see, our lives are what we create them to be. There are mountaintops and there are valleys. While we stand on the middle ground we must learn to appreciate both sides of the spectrum. The hard times, the great times. And this morning was a great time. I felt so grateful for the friendships, for the abilities, and for the opportunities.

The work will be here soon enough, and there won't always be time for the Ironman. Bigger things will be there, smaller things will be there. But for now, I am wrapping myself around this moment, and loving every second of it.

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: