Sunday, July 1, 2007

Touchdown

"He won't make a left." I thought to myself as Trevor rode up ahead. We were riding down 21 in Naples, where it veers to the right. If you go left you've got a 10 minute climb.

He turned left!

DAMN! I cried in my little mind. I thought for sure I'd be safe, but I should have known better. And I climbed for 10 minutes, and I climbed well. Wattage goals.... check. Heart rate goals..... check. Nutrition plan..... check.

Here we were, well here I was the last long ride until the big dance on July 22nd. I was so grateful to have Trevor along for the ride. He's a "fellow" Canadian and he knows long course racing. I am essentially begging him to coach me next season. He's helped me a lot in the past few weeks, as I am striving to "Iron" things out within my long distance racing.

I think I climbed every single hill in the Bristol, Egypt and Naples area. But I didn't, there are somehow more. I was thrilled I didn't have to scale all of them!

So here we are. The beginning, or is it the end? It's both. The end of the volume, the beginning of the fun part. In 22 short days I hope to be crossing a finish line I have crossed 2 times before. With a smile on my face and a medal in my hand.

Finishing the Ironman is damn awesome whether you do it in 10-12-15-17. We get the same medal. And we have traveled the longest distance, which is the distance between our ears.... to get here... to get there. The sacrifices made can't really be considered sacrifices. They are privileges. We are very fortunate to be doing this.

The next few week are sprinkled with workouts to maintain and tune up the muscles. More importantly the stress management and feet up mode will be full on.

The purpose has become clear. The mission was identified long ago, but naturally the closer we get to the cannon, it becomes very clear. The clouds have parted ways and I can almost smell the pine trees.

It's been a long road. It's been a long journey. I am ready. I am willing. And I shall be patient. I know where this race begins and ends. I know what happens in the middle. I know what it's like to nail it all.... and I know all too well what it is like to come apart and leave yourself scattered all over the course.

Perhaps that's what I love the most though. The uncertainty. Anything can happen in the Ironman, and few are willing to take the chance. In 22 days I am willing to take the chance for a third time. I am willing to take the day as it comes. I am willing to do whatever I ave to do to hear Mike Riley shout those words I have not heard since 2003.....

"Mary Eggers.... YOU ARE AN IRONMAN"

Just gives you goosebumps doesn't it?

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: