Saturday, July 28, 2007

Take On Me

I can be that annoying little friend that you know. The one who wants to be your best pal, and you want them to be, you really do. It's a door you are almost afraid to open because you might be afraid of what is inside. It's safer to remain on the outside, better yet, it's better to remain 100 miles away. Smile and wave hello.

I wonder sometimes if that's what poor Trevor thinks of me. Or maybe he is tired of watching me flop. Or I have aggravated him so much with my suicidal athletic plans that he's finally thrown in the towel.

Trevor has finally agreed to coach me. I screamed YIPEEEEEEEE! And Curt wished Trevor the best of luck, with a wicked laugh and a loud sigh.

As long as I can remember I have thrived working with a coach. Every one of my swim coaches told me that I was an easy athlete to coach. My swim coach Lorie Rick still confirms that. Somehow the perception grew that I was nuts. And while I find comfort in being called nuts (it makes the people you don't want around you.... stay away.) I have to say it unfortunately is not true. Feel free to keep thinking I am though...... there is nothing more fun than hearing somene say "Yes, that's Mary Eggers.... she's a bit nuts though..."

But left to my own devices I will commit athletic suicide even though I know better.

I am quite a coachable athlete. I like structure. I love being told what to do. I don't bark back. I fill in my log. I am honest when something goes wrong and I am honest when something goes right. I don't have a lot of questions. I won't bother you with frantic phone calls and emails. I follow directions. I change what you think I should change. I work hard when I am told to, I rest when I am told to. I give feedback when you ask me to.

I expect what I pay for. If you are training me with power don't give me a base building ride in zone II. I know my athlete's power zones and I expect you to know mine.

Trevor knows me and he knows my abilities as an athlete. He knows what it is like to struggle with weight. The man's lost over 100 pounds. The same things that cause overeating are the ones that cause you to make yourself puke. Eating disorders are similar no matter which way you go.

I think my debacles infuriate him because he knows I am better than that. I know it too. I don't always know how to pull it out of myself but I know that he can figure it out. As I showed him my ideas for Ironman Florida I imagine smoke coming from his ears. He gets power, he gets pacing (the man's an incredible athlete if you don't know that.... sub 11 hour Ironman), and I think he could make himself a pretty penny because of his understanding of athletes.

From Trevor I hope to learn how to be a better athlete, and in turn a better coach.

He and his wife are Canadian..... what more can I say?

So welcome aboard the crazy ship Trevor, here's handing the reigns over to you. I hope to do you proud, I hope to become your marquee athlete. I hope I can help grow your role as a coach.

And so my faithful and wonderful friends... should you see Coach Trevor on the street or at a race, make sure you give him a hug. He deserves at least that for taking on the named crazy girl in town. We'll make sure there is a room at the proverbial inn in town, the one with the padded white walls. Because this will either make you proud.... or make you nuts as well.

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: