Monday, September 24, 2007

More Casualties of Iron

In the past eight days I have put in 23 hours worth of training. I have the stupid tan, 2 missing toenails and the brain to prove it.

The Stupid Tan. This is the cycling shirt sleeve / cycling short hem line..... tan. It's all well and fine until you teach your yoga class in your traditional yoga gear, which is Lululemon tops.... sleeveless. Until you hit the pool and the pure swimmer poke fun. Until you hit Ironman Florida in a 2 piece race suit and you look like you are wearing it over a while cycling suit.

Missing Toe Nails Losing toenails may be painful for a day. But that's not when they fall off. They leave about 3 days later. If you are lucky like me and know a lot of doctors and pedicure professionals, this is an easy problem to take care of. Just a local block, a pull and a loofah stone. Your yoga feet will be pretty again.

The Ironman Brain. This could be an entire book. My biggest problem is losing my keys every single day, twenty times a day. My husband suggested hanging a hook and putting them there every time. The problem with that is that I did that a year ago, and each time I lose the keys, that's where they are. Lesson #37465755..... when you hang the keys up... remember that you did just that.

Aside from the 3 latest Ironman casualties, I am stunned at how good I feel. Muscle soreness.... none whatsoever. Sure I can get tight, but this might be the benefit of being a yoga teacher. 6 days a week I am in 110 degree room in a downward dog. Ahhhh.... that's heaven in itself.

As soon as the clock strikes hour 23, the chariot turns back into the bicycle, the glass shoe becomes a running shoe, and the ball gown becomes my bathing suit again. The clock rolls back to zero.

Welcome to Big Balance Week #2 as Coach T has titled it. 2 big weeks of training with balance across all 3 disciplines. 6 runs, 5 bikes, 4 swims. This week we keep the workouts at Ironman pace. Nutrition on my long ride at Ironman pace worked like a charm. We test that again on Wednesday.

Not only is there a lot of training to be had this week, there is a lot of sleeping. I planned out my nights of sleep with a nap every single day. Rest is just as crucial to the training. Tonight I will be in bed at 8 and tomorrow I get to sleep in until 7am. It's strength building in disguise.

So as the casualties of Iron begin to mount, I am handling them with grace. One step at a time, one revolution at a time, one stroke at a time. Baby steps.

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: