Friday, September 21, 2007

The Real Secret

The questions of the week seem to be directed towards why I am not racing the Finger Lakes Triathlon, what is this secret IMFL training plan, and who is this secret coach I now have?

Yes, it is true, I am not racing at Finger Lakes this Weekend. I will be there supporting the Train-This athletes. I will be the gal with the boy in a wheelchair. The decision not to race was made in August, when Coach T directed me to set goals. Was it more important to me to be committed to the IMFL build or to be the Finger Lakes Champ? Which was more important?

IMFL of course, is more important. So I am sticking to my plan this weekend, sticking to my build. I have workouts to do and nutrition to practice.

Which rolls nicely into who is my secret coach and what is my secret plan?

There are no secrets, I am afraid. I am working with Coach Trevor, whom I will write more about when he is officially open for business. I will say this now though…. his program is outstanding. I feel more focused than ever. I feel more prepared than ever. I feel more ready than ever. Whether or not IMFL turns out to be the day I am training for it to be…. this coach has created a plan that is rock solid. He's a rock solid coach and deserves to be paid more than he will charge.

He's created no secret plan, no secret training. It's carefully constructed to give me a lot of hard days and recovery days in between. He has me running much more frequently than I have ever run, which is absolutey making me stronger. Not to worry, a 3:00 marathon won't be happening…. just yet.

I do know this however. When the going starts to get rough, if and when it does during the marathon, as tends to happen in an Ironman. I feel confident that I can run through it.

I have never felt like that before. And as much as it excites me, it is new territory.

I have bombed so many races that the fear of the bomb doesn't affect me. The fear of losing it doesn't scare me. On the other side the thought of nailing it does not cause anxiety. I am in the process of laying out my plan and I will stick to my plan. I will take aim and I will focus on the goals I have set. I will have a drama free race. I will deal with the bumps and roll with the smooth sections.

And I absolutely will not allow my head to get in the way of what my heart is shooting for.

Thanks for stopping by!
Mary Eggers

No comments: