Tuesday, September 4, 2007

To Berlin and Back

Today we got lost, got found and I touched the Berlin Wall. I understood the magnitude of what stood before me in that wall and how much has changed in the past 20 years here. It was very different than I expected it to be.

It was so much more. It touched my very soul. It made me realize just how very small I am, and it made me realize how proud and blessed I am to call myself an American.

It's always been my belief that a vacation has done it's job, when you are ready to come home. I am ready for the open road, I am ready for morning routines and 1st grade. I am ready for my messy house and I am ready for laundry.

I am ready for the final 8 weeks of training for Ironman Florida. Before me lies a whole lot of work, and a whole lot of going to the brink. Going to the brink weakens me and then makes me stronger. I am prepared to do what I need to do to have a good day in Panama City.

I look forward to that vacation now. Sand between our toes... Luc's white bum contrasted to his tan legs. I am looking forward of getting Luc strong again, I am looking forward to his glow in the dark cast.

It's been a time of reconnecting for Curt and I. It's been a time of getting away, living a different life in order to truly appreciate the one you live now. I do love Germany and I do love what I have seen of Europe... yet my heart melts when I see Starbucks.

Wednesday will bring one last run around the lake, one last swim in Baderland, and one last bike ride along the brick paths that snake throughout the city. It's doubtful I will ever return here to Hamburg Germany. Paris where my sister lives will be next on my list.

Being here reflects to me that I am what these people might consider to be a country girl. I long for the roads I ride. I long for Friday night, just lunging with my boys.

I am so blessed to have taken this trip. Yet I am even more blessed to live where I live, and to be who I am.

One more report to follow, as well as pictures from Berlin and Wednesday.

Thanks so much for coming along on this adventure. I hope it has been as much fun for you, as it has been for me.

:-0 Mary

No comments: