Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Spring Break

My husband took me on a 9 day second honeymoon to Hamburg Germany, and in return I am taking him on Spring Break. Yes folks, that's right. The Eggers' are heading to Panama City Beach, home of Spring Break. On this Spring Break things will be slightly different. Yes there will be swimsuit clad bodies, although they'll be a lot fitter than the beer belly toting college students who are usually here. Not only that.... this Spring Break happens in the fall. In November to be precise.

What better way to thank your sweetie for taking you to Europe than treating him to a week on the sandy shores? Redneck Riviera? Hotels and restaurants?

Does it get any better than that?

Yes folks we are heading back down Ironman lane, this time the stop is Ironman Florida. I am trading in the beauty, the mountains, the trees, the 10k descent for the flattest Ironman of my life.

Initially when I signed up for this race I envisioned palm trees and sandy beaches. The smartest move I made this year was so race at Gulf Coast, which is on the same course. My margarita drinking hula dancer dreams were a but thwarted. Replaced by Billy Bob and his wife Candy (his baby's mama) in their tube tops and cigarettes, having a Sunday BBQ on the front lawn.

Once I got past the shock I will have to say that sir Billy B0b and Candy were a welcome sight for a gal having a tough day. They cheered and encouraged and there were a lot of them.

I vowed I wasn't coming back. Forget this place, I told myself. Even on the marathon at Lake Placid just a few weeks ago, surrounded by Adirondack glory I told myself to forget Ironman Florida. It's too ugly.

And then something happened. A few things happened. When I finished Lake Placid I felt elated. Exhilarated. I felt like I had come home. The Ironman had found me again and I was glad to have been found.

Can I do another Ironman in the same year?

Can I do another Ironman besides Lake Placid?

Can I get through that course, that terrain..... am I strong enough?

As Coach T took the reigns, things kept changing. My mojo returned. I was glad to have focus. Now that we are nearing the meat and potatoes of this program I feel hungry.

People have asked my motivation for Ironman Florida. Is it to qualify for Hawaii?

I have qualified for Ironman Hawaii 2, techincally 3 times. The first time I was racing in the pro division in Canada and earned a pro slot. I am not a pro. I didn't take the spot.

The second time I qualified for Ironman Hawaii was at Ironman Lake Placid. I turned it down.

The third time I qualified for Ironman Hawaii was at Eagleman 2005. Vigo has allowed the woman who won the age group to accept the spot from the airport. He later rescinded that decision, after we all left (an hour later) and then he did the age group awards again with slot allocation. No one had stayed (why would we?) and the slot got rolled to the girl behind me.

If I never do the Hawaii Ironman.... I am very okay with that.

My approach to Ironman Florida is fist for time. This is a course I believe I can break 11 hours on. Yes that depends a lot on the weather. I was on pace for 11 at Ironman Lake Placid. I made a nice save. My training has become extremely focused. I believe I have a shot at the 11 hour barrier at IMFL.

I don't want to miss that opportunity, win lose or draw. I can at least say I went for it.

If Hawaii should happen, then I shall decide then. In all honesty as I look to 2008 I am looking forward to Ironman Lake Placid. Kelly, Bill, my great friends are all doing the race. There is nothing like doing an Ironman with your friends. Nothing.

I would trade a 2008 Hawaii spot for that experience alone.

But should that happen, we will decide it then.

Until then it's sweet spot rides and tempo laced runs. It's getting my little boy stronger so he can run in the sand. (He got his cast changed and has 4 weeks and one more cast to go). It's dreaming of sunshine on our backs and sand between our toes. It's looking forward to a vacation where we have no agenda. Just the Ironman and just play.

We've never been on Spring Break, and naturally the Eggers' Spring Break will have a theme of a different kind. Rather than funneling beer I will aim to avoid vomiting. Rather than wet t-short contests it will be sponges in my bathing suit. Instead of the post party hangover, there is the potential to sleep with an Ironman medal on. And there is the potential to go to bed on November 3rd as a four time Ironman finisher.

That alone, is the highest motivation there is.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: