Saturday, September 8, 2007

Taking the Chance

I am a little bit jealous this morning. Of my husband.

He's out running right now in this downpour.

He came home from work last night and announced that he is going for it. He's going to Powerman Ohio to qualify for the Long Course Duathlon World Championships. He said that he is not yet satisfied.

And I cheered. It's awesome to see him fired up. It's awesome to see him reaching deeper. And it's awesome that he could podium at three National Championships in one year.

I am jealous because I have been told that today I will have one day of rest. I have been told do eat, drink and lie on the couch. And as much as I hate it, I know I need it. My transatlantic hurl fest dropped me by 5 pounds, raised my resting heart rate by 10 beats, and gave me a headache I can't shake. I know though that this rest is much needed. And I know that it is the only day I will get. In the past 30 days I have run 28 times. I am feeling really good, until I got on that damn plane. Rest cures however, we know it and we hate it. But Coach T is the boss and strangely he always seems to be right. Just like my Dad.

Sunday I will recapture long rides with a 4.5 hour ride. It's a ride of flatness, of focus, of wattage, and it might be of rain as well.


Like I always say however, if I want something I have never had I have to do what I have never done. While Coach T is mapping out the rest of the journey, I am mapping out the rest from this end. Clearing the calendar, scheduling the schedule, blocking the blocks that need to be blocked. I can roll with punches but at this moment of time I feel like I have rolled, and rolled and rolled. Blocked out times and dates give me comfort. Nothing can jump up and jump in and rock the boat. Focus has landed and focus demands total commitment.

That's what I see in curt right now. I am supporting it with everything I have. What's wrong with having a dream? What's wrong with having a goal? What's wrong with aiming for it? What's wrong with going for it?

Nothing. That's what. Nothing is wrong with it. Outsiders might think so because they perceive this as a selfish pursuit. That's because they've never taken that chance on themselves.

Whether it is athletic, academic, whatever it may be. Don't ask someone else to believe in you, don't ask someone else to take a chance on you.... if you are not willing to take that chance on yourself.

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) mary

No comments: