Monday, September 3, 2007

What I Have Learned Here in Germany

I have learned a lot on my trip to Germany. In case you are planning a trip, I thought I would share these hot tips with you......

1. If you don't know the language, adding an accent that you consider to be European to an English word.... doesn't work.

Example; Le Bathroomae means nothing. Here in Germany it is the WC (water closet)
Le Subway...... not a good one either.

2. Sometimes you ahve to pay to use the WC (bathroom). Sometimes it is 0.50E (that's fifty cents) and if there is an attendant it is 0.20E. Pay it, because these are bathrooms that are cleaner than your own bathroom.

3. When I was in 7th grade my French teacher told me that in all of Europe in all of the bathrooms, you had to squat and pee over a hole in the floor. ABSOLUTLEY UNTRUE.

4. To say Thank You in German, say Dan-Kay. Do not say Donkey. And as we are on the topic, if you don't know the word then say it in English.

5. Learn 10 German words and try to use them.

6. When learning 10 German words, learn appropriate ones. My top ten reccommendation;
Chicken, coffee, subway, right, left, I'm lost, Thank You, Please, Good Morning.

7. If you don't know German, don't say it in French. Likely the German will also know French and try to speak to you in French, thus declaring you a poser because you won't know that either.

8. French and German are different languages.

9. When entering a subway, know your exit.

10. The red brick bike path..... don't even run on it.

11. When you don't know German, don't know French.... posing as a Canadian and adding 'eh to the end of the sentence will only get you the "STUPID AMERICAN" look.

12. Men can wear capris pants here. Men can not do that in America.

13. I am the only one in this country who wears a skirt to run in. In fact I believe I am the only woman in this country who wears shorts. Apparently shorts are a fashion faus pas. Next month's edition of Vogue Magazine will have a picture of me in shorts and a big NO accross it!

There is so much mroe that I have learned, especially about triathletes from around the world. I can't for the life of me however understand why the Japaneese Triathlon Team kept going for runs in their wetsuits.

I do know, and reiterate that the Austrailian Team is the very best. They have blow up Kangaroos, they paint their faces green, have a wicked cool cheer and are generally insane.

Ans thank you to my sister, and for the volume of wine I drank then, becasue I am in Germany and have not had German Beer or any wine. I am offically a loser.

That's all for today, tomorrow is Berlin and the Berlin Wall!

:-) mary

No comments: