Saturday, September 1, 2007

Touring Hamburg, By Bike


Don't forget that for older posts, keep scrolling down and if they have disppeared check the archives.




Day four in Germany might be the best yet. And it's only 8am here. While the air is still cool the sun is shining. The citizen's race of the Hamburg "City Man" is today. Knowing the race begun at 7:30am, knowing the roads were closed, we had the idea to try the bike course again today at 6:30am. And the third time was the charm. The roads were closed and the course was marked and even barricaded. Not only did I get aero finally, I hit some "sweet spot" wattage for a bit. This course is one of the best courses I have ever ridden. Smooth pavement, straight sections, gradual climbs and turns. My favorite part is at the beginning and the end, as you ride through a tunnel, which is heated!

Each and every day I am convinced that the way to explore Germany is on a bike or on foot. I have found things I would never have found in a car. Canals, trails, architecture, you name it.

I am not all that interested in museums and things like that. What interests me is seeing how people live. Sitting in an outdoor café watching how the Germans interact with one another taught me that over here, people are of high value. I can count the number of people I have seen on a cell phone or a Blackberry… on one hand. And while half the country is smoking, at least they are out walking or even on a bike. I can forgive smoking then, believe it or not. Come to think of it, I don't believe I have seen one obese person. I really don't!

What interests me along with the people is the architecture. In America we have lost that pride in our buildings as we seem to be of the mind set "two weeks to a skyscraper". Here I am seeing buildings that were built in the 1800's, and even earlier.

Our hotel, Hotel Basler Hof was built in 1906. During WW II it was a headquarters for the British Army. The German Flair is evident here and the hospitality is overwhelming. Our friends are staying down the street at the Mariott… but we can stay there in America. Our little balcony here overlooks the street and has long curtains and a big French door. The bed itself is unique. Set up as a queen bed, it is actually 2 twin beds together. Two separate feather quilts, but all in the same bed frame.

The elevator is small and the stairs are winding. I keep thinking of how it must have been during those wartimes. Those wondering thoughts are easily answered as the history and images of the hotel's past adorn the walls of the lobby. This place has a lot of history and I am a teeny tiny part of it now.

During our ride this morning we toured the infamous St. Pauli's section of Hamburg. Apparently St. Pauli's is famous for prostitution / partying / etc. So at 6:30 am as we rode through… hundreds were still out enjoying a night of fun. We looked at them as strangely as they looked at us. But they smiled. At the expo there are St. Pauli's triathlon shirts and I just might have to get one.

On tap for today is a 2 hour run, and I shall run the run course twice. It runs along the canal. I am told Hamburg is the city of canals, so next week we shall hop aboard a boat and take a little boat tour!

Curt is feeling well, he is feeling ready. I feel like this bike course was designed for him. He's resting, he's calm, and tomorrow it will be his day.

Throughout my life my father would ask me after each event / test / etc; "Did you give it 100%". He would never care about the placing, or the grade. He taught me to give 100%, and that didn't matter if it was first or 10th place. In fact he taught me that it was better to give 100% and come in tenth place, than it was to give 60% and win. That's something I have carried with me throughout my life and that's what I feel fir Curt for tomorrow.

I don’t care what place he comes in. I care that he gives 100%. He's trained, he's dreamt, and he's worked hard. If he gives 100% then he's won whether it is the gold medal or not a medal at all. Where he has come from and where he has been are testaments to what he is capable of. But coming off this course, knowing he put in the effort he is capable of, regardless of the placing that earns him… is the best win of all.

Thanks so much for following along this adventure! More to come tonight!

Mary Eggers

No comments: