Thursday, November 12, 2009

All is well here in Clearwater. A bumpy flight with wi-fi, thanks Kim A. for keeping me company online while I was flying down the east coast!!!!! I ran into the Kellmans on the way down, and we shared a cab ..... thanks to Karen's incredible bilingual skills we made it to Pier 60 in one piece.

I got myself checked in, ran into some friends, did some shopping, hit the grocery store, assembled my bike, and took a little spin. Whew.

The remnants of the hurricane are seen in the form of the wind. The water didn't seem choppy but apparently the conditions in the ocean aren't all that good. At tonight's welcome dinner it was announced that the Friday morning swim would be cancelled and there would be potential modifications to the course on Saturday. We will either swim in the ocean, swim in the harbor, swim shorter or not swim at all.

While I would hate a swim to be cancelled, I am okay with however this rolls. The race management team knows what they are doing and they will choose the safest route. I have a race plan and I can adjust to anything. I'd hate a duathlon but won't let that affect me. I will take the race as it is presented to me on race day.

I did get to go to the welcome dinner with Upstate NY's man crush Matt M. and Syracuse's Kristen O, who is looking good and fir and ready to rock and roll. We had a great dinner although we froze. FROZE!!!!

It's cold. I am ready for cold!

I am staying in the neatest little hotel which is about one minute worth of walking to transition. Right by the Hilton. It's run by an Englishman named Kerry. He's the kind of host who knows all of his guests. In fact he and some of the other guests are out at the pool grilling freshly caught fish and drinking wine. While I was assembling my bike an elderly man named Lou and his wife sat down and we all chatted. About life, about travel..... they weren't triathletes .... and that was what was cool. I am in the best possible pre race place.

Yes everyone here has their game face on. Me, I am the odd girl who is smiling and saying hello to all. I am the girl who looks strangely excited to be here.

Because I am.

My smile.... is my game face.

I thought about an email Amy K sent me this week...... last time I checked only about 2 people were making a living off this sport...some people take themselves too seriously .. and I was reminded of that today. Smile people, this is the world championships! You worked hard to get here, enjoy this. Enjoy this opportunity. It's a privilege not a right! Have your game face on for sure, but don't forget to enjoy this.

It's all opportunity. That's what I feel tonight.

The swim will work itself out. The race will unfold in the safest possible way. Either way I get to share a course with the world.s best athletes. And I will have the biggest smile. Trust me on that one.

Tomorrow: a complete rest day, a day off my feet. I will hang at the hotel and I will relax, and get ready to have the race I am meant to have!

2 comments:

Kim said...

oh man, i would LOVE if the swim was cancelled in a tri ;) but i know you love to swim and i hope it's not for yours (and others) sake - you will do awesome no matter what!!

Amy Beth Kloner said...

They're canceling the swim?!!!! I AM PACKING MY CAR RIGHT NOW-- ON MY WAY!!!! OMG-- that would be music to my ears. Go figure, the one I can't race. ugh!!!
Hey- have fun and enjoy the ride. If it is a duathlon, just don't go out too hard. That's the key! Most people do and then blow up on the 2nd run. Have a great time and enjoy the weekend.