Friday, November 13, 2009

changes

If there is one thing I have learned from my father.... it's to not sweat the small stuff. The stuff out of my control. In fact it was him who taught me from an early age to always find the best in every single situation. It's just not my nature to worry and fret about things that are beyond my control.

Which is why when it was announced that the Clearwater 70.3 swim course has been changed and that the race has been changed to a time trial race..... it didn't phase me a bit' Sure the waves aren't that big, apparently the current is, the race management team will put into place the plan they feel is the safest.

How does this time trial work? I am not too sure but at Ironman Louisville you kind of just line up, and file into the water. It takes a while, but my wave was scheduled to begin at 7:35. If takes an hour to file 1700 athletes into the water, then it takes an hour. You can arrive super early and reserve your place in line, or you can just follow your plan and stick with that plan, and race your race.

That's all you can do. Wasting energy worrying about it.... isn't going to help. Besides I have a sick little boy back in Rochester that's been preoccupying my mind, this is only a race after all. Of course the moment I leave he gets sent home from school sick for the first time this year, wheezing.

He doesn't wheeze or have asthma.

And Curt... he's by far father of the year. For the past 2 days he's managed single parenting a sick child while working from home, dealt with getting to doctor appointments and coercing said sick boy to get a shot..... oh man Curt Eggers is by far father of the year. All hell literally broke loose when I left.

And the man's got an Ironman in 9 days.

When that starting gun goes off he will think: FREE DAY TO MYSELF!

But between now and then it's time to kick back, put up my feet, and race a race tomorrow. It's the World Championships and the best of the best are here. I am so excited to get out there and have a great time, and now that we've got a time trial start..... I am super excited!

The time trial start, as proven at IMLOU will ease up the unbelievable congestion on the bike course. Sure it will be crowded but unless you have ever raced this race then you do not get it. This isn't like IMFL or Eagleman..... this makes those look like there is no drafting anywhere. I do not blame the competitors as I do the course design. Put the best of the best on a course starting together..... they are going to be together out of the water and on the bike. Simple fact.

The sun has come out, the wind is dying down, and the race management team is working their magic. It will all run smooth, it always does. Worrying only wastes energy. Focusing on my race and my plan is the only way I will go.

Here's to a fun day tomorrow!





4 comments:

Molly said...

Interesting changes, but it might just make the race that much better. I'm assuming pros go off at the same time? Good luck, have a great race!

Ange said...

oh wow...My Dad Alwasy said, and still says to me, "dont' sweat the small stuff." Tomorrow will be so great for you. enjoy your day. I'm sure your litlte one will be just fine but isn't that the way...as soon as you go....he's in good hands w/his Daddy. :o)
Have a great race!!!!

Damie said...

Best of luck!!!

Colleen S said...

Mary- You have done the work, now its pay day! Have fun out there tomorrow-- Smile your way to the finish line, wish I was there to cheer :)