Monday, November 2, 2009

flying

Often when I have late season races, I pull out the iPod. I always wear it on the trainer but I never if ever run with it. Just to give me some extra go go during the tempo long ride and run, I tossed it on and I hit shuffle. It was like someone was in control of my own personal soundtrack and played every song possible to motivate me, focus me, excite me and inspire me.

The end of the recovery week brought out this long tempo effort and I nailed it. It was cold out, but the crisp air made me feel alive. My run form is improving, my elbows are in, my shoulder pulls back and allows for me to bring my wrist back. My cadence is now about 94. My pace is falling. I'm smiling.

I did turn on the TV and I was mesmerized by the runners in NYC. Flowing, passionate, loving every moment of what they were doing. They pulled me along as I studied their form, their stride, and I noticed the heart and soul that they ran with.

Sport has this incredible way of making you feel more alive. It's like you take the dial on a color that is already rich and bright and you turn it up ten notches. It has this way of reaching into you, right into your soul and grabbing onto your passion.

Although the bike was on the trainer, my eyes were set on the mirror in front of me, alternating between looking at my feet turn and the NYC marathon runners flying through the course. I was hitting wattages of the old days, feeling passion build on this bike that I have been coming back in touch with.

Feeling excited about the ability to be racing at the end of next week. In a hot place with a boatload of people.

I feel such an incredible amount of gratitude and hope and opportunity. Knowing I am hitting my best endurance years yet. Knowing this is just the beginning.

1 comment:

Damie said...

That is a nice feeling! I think it is awesome to see good years ahead- and not behind. The NYC marathon was good for inspiration, I think!