Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tempe day 2

Day two in Tempe was awesome. It began with the kids race, where over 1,600 kids ran a mile, best organization of a kids race that I have ever seen! Luc ran one awesome mile. As I stood there and watched them all come in through the finisher's chute there were tears in my eyes. Smiles so big, so bright, the kids all had so much fun. Heather Fuhr was placing the medals around the kids necks.... Roch Frey led them on a mountain bike. It was beautiful to see all of these children have their moment. Their 15 seconds. That finish line was bigger than Kona.

After he was done Luc grabbed my arm and said in my ear.... "Mom I was crying at the end of the race." Fearing that he had been crying because he did not have fun.... did he felt pushed into it...... was this the right thing to have him do..... his words made me so proud..... "I cried because everyone was cheering for all the kids. It made me feel special. I did a good job. I did my best!"

May each of those children always feel special. Luc's words were the very best finish line statement I have ever heard in my life. May every single person tomorrow, from Sam McGlone to the very last finisher..... experience that kind of happiness.

We continued the day with a hike, Rich is here and he met up with Luc and I for a hike up one of those mountain things. Curt got some much needed time to rest and pack his bags. On the metro I asked a local what the big dirt hills were called.

"We call them mountains." she said to me. Told you these people are smart!

The hike was awesome. Steep, but short and it was an amazing view of an amazing place. I can only imagine the riding possibilities that exist in the mountains beyond the borders of the city. Mountains and sun..... sounds good to me.

After that we did a little tooling around Iron Town and grabbed some lunch. I caught up with Mark, and Cathy (stalker). Everyone looks ready!

Then we grabbed Curt and brought him back for bike check in. Where we spotted Rudy Garcia, the double leg amputee who we all got to know on the cover of Road Runner Sports when he was 12. Feel like I have grown up with this kid. We will be cheering for you Rudy.

After bike check in was perhaps the most exciting part of any one's trip. America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses! Oh yes, even Rich came along for that fun! In the morning I tore a contact. Normally I travel with both my glasses and extra contacts. I even race with extra. But they were in my Florida bag. Yeah, great! A quick call to America's Best and less than an hour later I can see again. Which is a bonus when you are at an Ironman.

I like this race venue. I like the swim venue. I like the scenery. I like the atmosphere. I love running into old friends. Ed is here with Triabetes and I got to get a big hug from him..... we will be seeing him tomorrow ( we will have that beer!).

As for Curt..... the man is ready. I am honored to be able to give him the same support he gives to me. He's rested, carbo loaded and ready. The only thing he races with is a watch. No power, no speed, not even a bike computer. I feel like hes the last of the old guard in so many ways.

I am so excited for tomorow I feel like I am going to burst!!! It will be a great day! Sun and Ironman. Together as a family and with amazing friends!

See you on the other side of this finish line!

No comments: