Wednesday, November 4, 2009

roll with it

As you see, we've got a new look for the blog! And if you have not heard at the end of the month the address to come to this site will be www.maryeggers.blogspot.com , AND we will have a new look for the Train-This site as well. As Train-This is growing, I thought it was about time to separate the two, of course they will be interlinked and such but it was time for a new look as we have new things coming up!

Ah, I can't wait for the semester to be over..... however I can wait for the season to be over!

This morning I have a 3000 yard time trial on tap at Masters. I am pretty excited. I am just jonesing to race. Is that not the greatest feeling in the world? Your heart rate rises just thinking about being in the middle of competition. Your heart rate rises at the thought of packing your bike and bringing it to the airport because that means: travel and RACE RACE RACE!

Still there is so much to do between now and departure day in one week. Tires to be glued, a new X Lab installed, one last long workout, purchasing of my nutrition. Salt water and sunshine awaits.

The question I am getting most frequently these days is: what's it like to have 2 athletes in the same house training big volume for big events? As you know Curt is doing Ironman Arizona the week after Clearwater, so we are both are at the height of things right now.

Is it tense? Surprisingly, not at all. We are both very laid back folks. There's a lot of laughing because we've acquired good cases of the stupids. His, worse than mine. Like the day we were all going out to dinner and we were in the carr. Curt begins to shuffle through his pockets for his keys and can't find them. I point to the ignition. Or how he lost his license, ordered a new one, the new one came, and he lost the new one. But found the old one. (did you follow that?)

I should point out that I am unfairly and purposely not telling you what I forget. I am biased.

We have a balance that we work with for training. Our workouts are done very early, we have computrainers. Training doesn't become a stressor it becomes just part of the day. I have the luxury of being able to go long during the week so as Curt's Sunday long rides became longer I made those special days with Luc. I do my Sunday stuff in the evening. Not a big deal. It's life, it's how we roll, there is no high strung Iron fever around here. There's no parking my son at the end of my lane while I swim. He's our first priority as he should be.

It's our personality to have incorporated this into life instead of making it life. We don't stress about it, we've been at this too long.

I probably get more excited about Curt's races than he does in fact.

We've seen a lot of triathlon divorce over the years and I think we work pretty hard to try to not allow that to happen to us. However we aren't immune. People change, things happen, divorce happens. The people I never understand...... the athletes who work + have families + train and still have affairs. Where do people find the TIME? In the spare time that I have I can't imagine doing anything else except being with these guys.

I believe the key is humor, communication, honesty. I believe that's what makes a marriage work. A triathlon marriage....... understanding each other's goals, creating a schedule to follow so that training can be done but family remains the priority. Do we have the magic formula? Good lord no, but we try. What works this year won't work next year, or the year after. We have to roll with life, its changes and create new systems and schedules, keeping our family the priority.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, Mary!! It's tricky when there is so much going on. Thanks for the comment on my blog...email forthcoming! :)

Marit C-L said...

I'm so excited for YOU!!! Man, it is just going to be your day...I can feel it! Excited to see the new Train-This site as well - YEA!

Oh - and believe me, I KNOW how excited you get about Curt's races... remember....I was there in Florida last year. I think I'm still partially deaf in my right ear from your yelling. But I wouldn't trade the experience for anything! HA!

Trigirlpink said...

Love the new picture on top!