Friday, May 18, 2007

Becoming a Caveman

The nutrition evolution continues this week as I once again give up the sugar. I came off of it for a week after Gulf Coast to see what would happen. And you know what? Enjoying some cookies and ice cream was all well and fun... but I felt like absolute ASS afterwards. It really affected me. It really affected how I felt.

I have been on an evolution towards the Paleo way of eating for a few years now. But a few months ago I decided to make a firm commitment to it. I gave myself the time line of one year to fully commit to this way of eating.

Being an endurance athlete who could essentially live on bagels and cereal and spaghetti this is a difficult thing. So why am I doing this?

First of all for health. I am in terrific health and I want to be in terrific health when I am 95 years old.

Secondly for performance. I know that a healthier athlete is a stronger athlete is an athlete who performs at his or her potential. Now I eat very well now, but like training, nutrition can always improve. I want my fuel to be pure, therefore allowing my nutrients to be utilized and bringing up my level of performance.

I am still entering the peak of my endurance athletic years. I want to come into this peak age knowing that I have done everything I can to be in top fitness for the various goals I will set for myself over the next few years.

I have began this evolution in stages. Obvious sugar went first. Sweets, cookies and yes the beloved ice cream, is gone. Once I am again used to that I will evolve further with refined foods. It's a long list and process for me but I shall keep you updated.

The key for a born swimmer like me is exchanging the carbs I normally eat (bread....) for carbs with a little more bang for their buck.

So easing back into training with new and improved nutrition habits is pretty neat. You see the correlation between good food choices and feeling good. As my son would say Good Food makes you feel good, and Garbage Food makes you feel like garbage.

Amazing how our children have a way of simplifying things when we work so damn hard to complicate them!

Thank you for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: