Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tank of Gas

As much as I didn't want to analyze my 1/2 Iornman from the weekend. I did. And I could not find the problem. Training is spot on. Weight is spot on. Pacing was spot on. It was not the jellyfish. I thought nutrition was spot on. how did I bonk. Again?

What is the mistake that I keep making? Power? no. Heart rate? No. It was not obvious.

My husband asked me what I did to carbo load and top off my glycogen stores before the race. In my attitude of not wantint to alanyze I tuned out of the conversation. Sorry Curt!

But then my friend Trevor sent me an email asking what I had for breakfast.

500 calories of Carbo Pro. I told him. I imagine his eyes popped out of his head because what took place after clarified one thing to me..... I am an idiot.

Carbo loading is highly important for distance racing. Think of carbo loading like filling your gas tank. You want to start 2-3 days in advance, and there is a lot of great information out there to fiugure out how much and what to take in to top off your stores.

Arrive to the starting line with a full gas tank. Here is the formula that Trevor suggested to me.....

Engery Balance: 3000 cals to burn

Out:

Swim ( 100 cals per 400 metres) so say around: 500-600 cals

Bike ( 600 cals per hour, check your Power Meter for better accuracy) = 1650 ( 2:45 bike split)

Run ( 100 cals per mile) = 1300 cals

Total: approx. 3550 cals total

So you're in the hole only 550 cals. So really you don't need to pig out during a HIM.


Now the 1/2 Ironmans where I went sub 5 hours have had a common theme. 1500-2000 calorie breakfast and a 3 day carbo load.

The 1/2 Ironmans that I have gone over 5 hours also have a common theme. 500 calorie breakfast and.... I can't believe I am admitting this.... no, yes I said NO carbo load.

Is this the magic bullet? I don't know. I do know that everything else is where it should be. My swim, bike and run training and predictor tests show I should be racing at a 4:40 for a flat 1/2 Ironman.

Here is my typical plan, and compare it to the above.....

Breakfast 500 calories. No carbo loading. So according to Trevor's forumla I have 500 calories in my tank of gas.

Bike 900 calories per hour
Run 200 calories per hour.

Okay 1100 calories. 2000 in the hole. That'll make you feel dizzy!

If this plan were one of my athletes I would freak out. Funny how we can coach someone else but then no rules apply to ourselves.

This is an important lesson coming into Ironman. I am going to remain with the plan of not racing Eagleman and sticking closer to home. I am training through the races, and through those races I will practice nutrtion, and even carbo loading.

If this had not been realized, I might not have properly planned for my own Ironman Lake Placid. But now I have a chance. Could it all be this simple? Could this all come down to my own tank of gas?

The only thing I do know..... this girl ain't done yet.

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary!
Great post..you know, my jaw almost hit the ground when I read it though - 500 calories for Breakfast?! Your friend is absolutely right and I do think that the athletes that perform the best, in an IM especially, eat at least 1k+ calories for breakfast as well as carbo load 3 days prior. I know it is easy to play Sunday night quarterback here, and hindsight is 20/20, but excellent point and glad it made you think so now you can fix it up and focus on IM LP and your goal! :) Jen

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary;

Good post race deconstruct.
This is all based on Gordo's stuff and it's worked for me. Find what works for you:


Just don't go crazy on the "A" race week "carbo-loading".

Because of the volume reduction due to your taper you won't have to pig out. I suggest eating light, with your normal or usual food,race week. Watch the starch, refined sugar and fat intake. I would also suggest no sports drinks or sports nutrition so train only with water (you shouldn't be going on any 3 hour rides anyway).

The current OTC (US Olympic Team) best practice for carb loading is 10g CHO per Kg of weight the day before the race. No need for the old deplete and 2 or 3 day load. Now that's lean body mass so adjust the 10g CHO down if you have some rolls. :-) That's a lot of cals for the day before. So break it down into small meals starting very early the day before. Your diner the day before should be lightest meal of the day. Remember to add salt the day before as well. No need to go crazy with the salt before the day before.

Then don't forgot to have a big breakfast. :-)

Cheers!
Trevor