Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Hickory Nuts

Tonight I did something I never, ever do. I went.... sit down my friends, you won't believe your eyes.... I went out!. Take a deep breath, I know, I know. Don't worry I have not lost my mind here in taper land. This does have something to do with my last post.

I spend just one night a week with some amazing people in the Pediatric ED. They are the other reason I keep my stint there. We have been in the most amazing, horrifying, exhilarating scenarios together.

I have been on the helipad (where we take the kids off a Mercy Flight) during a hot landing, in which I wasn't sure we'd make it. A hot landing is when they don't stop the propellers on the helicopter, because another one is hanging above waiting to unload.

Ever see that episode of ER where Romano's arm gets cut off..... exactly.

But during these moments when we are running down the runway, someone is bagging an intubated child, in those moments of oh my god the shit is hitting the fan
..... we've got each other's back. I work with an amazing group of people.

So tonight for the first tme ever, I joined them for a drink at the local "Hospital Bar" the Distillery. I worked a little 8-midnight shift and thought, you know it is about time I sit down with my work friends and just spend time.

So I did!

So there we were, pediatric emergency nurses, residents, fellows, and the attending.... just gathered around a table and spending time with one another.

I used to swim on a swim team as a kid, at a place called Hickory Hill. Our swim team was called the Hickory Nuts. Throughout my life when I find a group of people who mean something to me, I nickname them the Hickory Nuts. Just to myself. Just a reminder of their importance in my circle of life.

So tonight I salute you, the Hickory Nuts. For all you do, all that you are, and especially for always having my back!

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: