Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Victory


Looking back at my Gulf Coast 1/2 Ironman, please keep thinking that it was another debacle because on paper it was. In terms of data however, this was a breakthrough performance. And I am smiling big as we head into the final 6 week push to Ironman Lake Placid. I don't know the end of the story, but none of us do, do we?

What was so critical in my race was my run. It was the walking every mile and nailing a 4:00 and at times a sub 4:00 Ironman pace. Walking, yes walking to a sub four hour marathon. Walking. Deadly in a 5K race but again I say it is critical in an Ironman. After 2.4 miles of swimming and 112 miles of cycling, walking becomes critical.

It is a lesson my athletes are slowly and reluctantly learning. When people are reading their long runs with instruction to walk 1 minute every 10.... you would think I have told them to run a 3 minute mile. Yet they listen, and they fight, but they do it. And what happened last week? Dennis and Sarah ran 18 miles in record time. Kitima told me how much.... better.... she feels with the walking breaks.

Yes, walking.

Because in the land of Iron nutrition is the key to the race. Every mile you come upon an aid station and people will blow through it spilling drinks of all kinds down their faces and bodies. And we will patiently walk through each and every single one. Sipping, sponging, and resuming marathon pace with a bit of kick and a big smile.

The hardest part of walking is the humility It requires. Who wants to be seen walking in an IRonman? Who wants to see the occasional person passing them as they speedwalk like Oprah?

I always think of it this way; there are 2 types of people that you will see in the Ironman. Those who are faster than you, and those whom you'll see again. I believe I was told that either by Rich Strauss or Gordo. It is true, and it is something to remember.

I have had 2 reluctantly low days in preparation for the big week that begins tomorrow at 0400. There are a lot of miles and hours to cover between Wednesday and Sunday and I am ready.

Victory takes many forms and shapes. And Victory comes from within. The undoubted belief in yourself. You can not, can not doubt your abilities and talents and dreams. Doubt them and don't bother getting to the starting line.

You have to believe. Believe in the impossible. Believe in yourself. Believe in what you can do. Believe the pain, and believe the joy. Believe every moment because every moment that passes is one moment closer to the finish line.

And the great big medal they'll hang around your neck.

Thank you for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: