Saturday, May 5, 2007

To Eagleman I Go!

Well the Eagleman versus Montana saga has finally come to an end. I was offered a spot in the Level II training but with some logistics of family... I had to decline. Rumor has it that they are going to extend to certification time frame. Let's hope so.

So I will join fellow Train-This'ers Kevin, Kitima, Bill, Sharon and Jay as we all head to Maryland for the June 10th race. These guys will love this race. It has a hometown backyard feel with the quality of the Ironman. And Vigo..... he's a freaking legend.

One week from today is the Gulf Coast 1/2 Ironman. Taper starts this morning with a 2:00 brick and tomorrow with a 9 mile run. We decided on a shorter taper for this race for a few reasons. TO understand that, understand the goals of this race.

1. Heat. I wanted to race somewhere hot before Eagleman, as Eagleman has the tendency to be hot. I have always struggled in the heat so I consider this to be a limiter of mine. Train your weakness I always say, so here it is. I am stepping into the fire. So it was Gulf Coast or St. Croix to choose from. Gulf Coast is on the Ironman Florida Course, so that made it a natural choice.

2. Nutrition practice. I believe we have nailed my nutrition down and I want to test it in the heat.

3. Data. Armed with the Ergomo and the Garmin, I will use both of these during the race to record data, heart rate, etc. This data is what we will use to plan training for Ironman Florida.

4. Have fun. What better place to go in spring than on Spring Break in Panama City Beach?

I feel quite good in preparation for this race. Typically I will go sub 5 hours for a 1/2 Iornman, however I haven't done that in 2 years for a bouquet of reasons. Some physical, nutritional, but I believe they were mostly mental.

I have worked very hard on my mental training this year. And I am excited to see how that goes as well.

My swimming feels good, my cycling feels good.... but it does feel like I have not done a lot of speedwork. Hills, yes, speed, not so much. Running feels like it is coming along. I have been averaging 40 miles a week for the last 2 blocks of build. We have touched on speedwork but again not a lot.

Essentially I want to see sub 5. I want to hold back on the bike. I want to feel strong on the run. I want my nutrition to work. I want my mental game to be on. I want to see the edge of myself but hold back from crossing it.

There are 2 days I am hoping to shine this year. July 22nd and November 4th. (Ironman Lake Placid and Ironman Florida). So I will not "go to the well" as they say, at Gulf Coast. I want to finish with money in the bank.

I feel like something special can happen this season, and timing is the key. I am ready, I am focused and I am ready for the tan!

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) mary eggers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yippeeee skippy! See you there, Mary!! :) Jen