Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Catch of the Century!


Inspired by Ryan and my unending desire to nab that Bontrager Disc Wheel .... I decided to let my husband know that not only am I the ideal wife.... I am the catch of the century.

Somewhere in the offices of Sprint my husband has just spewed his coffee all over his laptop. It is not my fault that he fried his laptop.... I would never allow coffee to exit my mouth except for the way it should go.

Now why would anyone consider me to be the catch of the century? No, I am not prom queen material. Hell I don't even know how to correctly apply mascara. A triathlete wife .... the ideal one like me, is not hard to find. We are often found on race courses.

So my dear husband.... and to anyone who would like to rent an ideal triathlete wife.... I can be bought with something beautiful and round. A Bonrtager disc wheel. Here is a list of why I believe myself to be the catch of the century for Curt Eggers......

1. I made it just under 17 hours when I gave birth to our son. By the skin of my teeth I made it but I got under by about one minute!

2. I carried around that monster baby for 9 months on a spinning bike listening to Jeff the spinning instructor tell me to have more rhythm on the bike while listening to MC Hammer. That right there should get me a disc wheel each and every year. Seeing how our son is now 7 I should allow that to go.

3. I can blow a double snot rocket on command..... and I have excellent aim.

4. I know how to work a pedal wrench and a chain whip.

5. I am a four time Ironman finisher and I not only chicked Curt ..... I wifed him. Okay this might make me attractive to someone other than Curt.... this may earn me a divorce.

6. That one time I passed you on the bike in 2004 and you went off course.... I swear I whispered really loud to you that you were going the wrong way....... what other wife would do that???? (He still kicked my ass).

7. I can disassemble a bike in 20 minutes flat. And reassemble.

8. I can pack a bike in a bike box like it's no body's business.

9. When you were having trouble with your wheel the other night..... and I fixed it.... was that sexy or what?

10. I can mix an array of drinks: Carbo Pro, Gatorade, and I can explain the nutritional content of each. I can't cook a turkey but who needs a turkey in a triathlon????

11. As Ryan pointed out I not only know what the letters V Dot and FTP stand for, I even know what they mean.

12. I have beautiful hair and I don't think I own a hairbrush!

13. My makeup expenses cost $15.... for the last decade. The last time I wore makeup was on our wedding day.

14. I love honeymoons to Ironman Canada, and trips abroad for World Championships!

15. I have never asked to go on a cruise.

16. When someone asked me what carat my diamond was I said "Who wears a carrot on their hand and how much does YOUR bike weigh???"

17. I can show you the best razor to use for shaving legs.... the one that will never cut you!

18. Most of my clothes are made of Lycra / spandex / coolmax and are of the skimpy theme!

19. Lingerie to me means a 2 piece speedo. Wait, this might not buy me anything!

20. I am thrilled to be presented with Cervelo P2K's at my baby shower.

21. I am a very flexible triathlete who can balance on her forearms! That's good for something!

22. I look my prettiest at the finish line of an Ironman.

23. My shoe collection consists of running and cycling shoes.

24. I'd rather spend money on bikes than the house.

25. I don't bitch when you go out to train. Don't bitch when I do either then!

26. My idea of a date is riding my computrainer next to you.

27. I was honest when I high fived Luc Van Lierde in Hawaii......... and when I met Faris last summer..... I was honest! And I stalked Brian Rhodes in your very presence!

Now believe it or not there are more, but I do realize that you have work to do. So the next time you sigh, complain or wish you had a wife that wasn't a triathlete...... take a look at this list and remember I could be a girl who likes diamonds and pearls instead of carbon fiber and powermeters!

Lucky Curt

11 comments:

Brooke Myers said...

I think more men should want women like you and other triathletes who are not big on diamonds and pearls.
Race wheels and bikes, running shoes and socks, all the great necessatities we could need :)
Hopefully those wheels will come knocking on your door sooner than later.....

rr said...

I LOVE that picture. You are the catch of the century, Mary! And I am so stoked on that new term.. my husband won't do tris that I am entered in, only swim races. I can't wait to ask him if he's worried I'm going to wife him.

BreeWee said...

This is so funny! I love it, I hope he realizes he has the catch of the century and gets you something nice, round, and fast! Ha ha ha...

I always try to convince Jim I am a catch too, but then he smells my sweaty self and sees that I am still in run shoes and laughs! (in a good way!)

Love this post, good humor as always from your blog!

Danni said...

Hahahahaha.
This reminds me of my husband and I. We will have our 5 year anniversary this year, and I had been bugging him for a small diamond ring (I did not get one for engagement because we could not afford it). Then I got really committed to my tri goals and told him that we could do without the ring if I got a new bike. And guess what?? I got a new TT bike!
You ARE the catch of the century Mary!

wiley said...

Diamonds don't suck! Just saying! ; )

Pedergraham said...

This rocks! Thanks for the morning smile!
-Danielle
P.S. I am with you on the make-up 100%!

Cy said...

LOVE IT!! This is so great--I may need to use some of these myself.

Jen said...

I asked for carbon for my anniversary...didn't get it though. Maybe b/c I didn't explain myself as clearly as you did to your hubby. That post should earn you some points :) Hope your dreams of a disk wheel come true!

Ryan said...

Aww Schucks!!

I'm blushing......

The only time I have ever been mentioned as "inspirational" was when my name came up at an AA meeting.

Something about " when I saw how Ryan was acting, that inspired me to stop drinking."

Glad I could help!

Anonymous said...

Can you say trophy wife?!!!

Marit C-L said...

Mary, you are TOO funny. You ARE the catch of the century. And as I see it, Curt Eggers ows you a disc. Hee hee hee! Gotta love the wrench and whip comment. Only to a triathlete! Enjoy your ride - I know you'll be smokin' on that thing!