Saturday, June 28, 2008

Roll the Ball!

Stop squeezing me MOM!

We've got a new summer hobby aside from hanging at the beach. We are bona fide.... Bowlers. You see Luc's Elementary School was given cards for each student from Bowl A Rama, the local bowling alley. It was all part of their "Say no to drugs.... say yes to bowling" campaign.

I thought it was a terrific idea. Inspire our youth to be moving and be active. We don't own a Wii, we don't own an.... Atari or a Coleco Vision or even a Nintendo..... and see how far behind I am.... I don't even know what's come along next!

Our idea of fun is playing outside. I think every single home in America should come equipped with a basketball net. How many conversations do families have while shooting hoops together. If everyone had one (and used it) I am convinced therapists all over the country would go out of business.

The deal with bowling is that each student received a punch card good for one free game and a pair of shoes. Parents get a game and shoes for $1. Now $2 for a little fun? That's a deal!

We're pretty horrid bowlers. Heck I have only once broken 100 and that's with the bumpers. And until I told someone I bowled a 96, I didn't know that not breaking 100 was something to laugh at.

WHO KNEW!

What impressed em the most was this...... the other people.

At 9am the lanes are rather empty except for a few. Last week I noticed a guy in his 20's. iPod was on, he has his own shoes, his own ball, he was in his own little world. It made me smile.

A group came in a bit later with their fancy schmancy bowling bags and all their own gear.

What I noticed was people who love their sport, who are dedicated to it and who love the company of one another.

They were just like me. Just like me but different sport.

I was surprised by the young ages of so many of these people. I was glad about it. Just like I am glad when I see the youths at a kids race or better yet I see the youths grow older and complete a triathlon by the time they are 20.

Our goal for our son is that he lives an active lifestyle. Knowing how to swim was really important to us because too many people.... don't.

He can shoot hoops, play soccer, bowl. He's the jack of all traits and as he gets older he will have a variety of ways to be active and live healthy. If he picks triathlon that's wonderful. If he doesn't that's equally as wonderful. Finding what he loves is what is important.

For now he's excited about the kids races.... and I am excited that he's excited to be racing his third triathlon at the Quakerman tomorrow. Hometown with my homeboy..... it doesn't get better than that.

I am sure that over at Bowl A Rama there are equally important things happening. Tournaments, laughing, moving, and being healthy. To me it's all the same. You'd better believe that we will be back on Monday.... and we'll be aiming for 100!




1 comment:

Meredith said...

Bowling is fun! But just an FYI: bring a small spray hand sanitizer.....spray those "house balls" in the finger notches...they are a microbial mess!!! (I know you would care ,given your profession ;)