Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Eager

Proof that I really do sleep!

This morning I am back in action, it's four thirty am and I just can't wait. We took a little active recovery through the weekend, although I did do a bit of a long ride on Sunday. I slept a whole lot and I kept my feet up. I hung out and .... I did no housework. I haven't done any in ages so why begin now?


Here we are on Tuesday morning and I am eager to get back to the grind. It's the final 2 weeks before we take a good solid taper and head into my final Ironman. For at least 365 days.


I am glad I stepped over this edge a bit, it made me realize that a return to 70.3 and shorter for a year or two and the local scene are going to be good for me. I miss weekend racing and seeing the friends I have made around here.


But damn I will miss my Ironman. The beautiful thing about the Ironman is that.... it isn't going anywhere. My health and my longevity will depends on me being intelligent and getting out while the getting is good.


I may not race the Quakerman this weekend. In fact I am pretty sure I won't. The Quakerman will be the first triathlon staged in my hometown and I was pretty excited about it. I had to sit back through this need of recovery and be logical. Race or stay home and put in the homework?


We will decide by Wednesday but likely I shall stay home. Ironman Lake Placid is my #1 goal. Quakerman will hopefully be there next year.


In a strange way I feel so proud of myself for making that decision. I used to be so obsessive about racing it would really bother me to not race. I know I can't have it all and what is it I really want?


I want the chance to shine on July 20th. I just want the chance. That might mean holding tight just a little longer. I have 28 days. And I don't mind waiting. Not after all this work.


The Lake is waiting. I will let you know how it goes!

5 comments:

wiley said...

You shine right now, Sweetie. The light will only get brighter as you soar at Lake Placid Ironman. Namaste!

Anonymous said...

Mary!! Soon..very soon and all that work you have done diligently with over the last X months will pay off! It will be great watching you online that day!! Happy almost taper! Jen H. :)

Wingman said...

So does that mean you're going to be jealous of me in my non-taper period?

With the amount of coffee the Train-This crew consumes I'm surprised any of you sleep.

Marit C-L said...

ALMOST ready for taper - so so so close! And just think, if you had signed up for IM CDA with me - you could do this next year also. Except that you'd be done with the race by now... :)

Seriously (and it pains me to say this because I'm selfish and I want Mary Eggers at CDA with me!) - I think you're making the right call. Watch out World - Mary Eggers and short course have a date!

Beth said...

That couch looks soooo comfortable!!!

Mary!!! You must be soooo excited! I myself just cannot wait to see how fantastic you are on July 20th. It will be a day to remember for sure!! Happy recovery and taper. Won't be long now...