Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Cracking the Egg

Today didn't get much better than yesterday and what happened to that week where "20 hours felt like nothing?" Who the hell said that.

All by design, I assure you. Or rather Coach T would assure me. He wouldn't tell me when I should crack until I did. And I haven't.... for the record.

Well there is a crack and the crack line might be slowly getting longer but I haven't cracked open, hatched or broken apart. Yet.

I awoke this morning and wondered who set the piano on top of me. Then I wondered what happened to the Africa weather and brought back the North Pole. I had to look at the calendar to confirm, yes it was June all right.

FIFTY TWO DEGREES?

Someone please take me to Hawaii so I can live next to Rachel and go to Starbucks. I am a nurse. I can work anywhere. i wrote it down on my life to do list. "Western New York must go."

At the Lake by 5:30 am things were a bit better. We had a bunch of athletes ready with smiling faces. The air was colder than the water and swimming felt good. I love this time of year that I can just swim and not bounce off walls for a few months.

Sarah and I drove home and I sipped on my beloved Timmy Ho's. I told her I thought I might die today. The weather was looking crappy and I had a bunch of hours to do.

I think she agreed that I might die.

Well the good thing was that my GI system seemed to have improved. And by the time I took Luc to school I was feeling peppy again. ready to take on the day.

The ride began innocently enough. It rained, blew wind..... I was wearing a fleece jersey on June 18th and nothing seemed right in the world. At 90 minutes I thought..... I need to go home and take a freaking nap.

I don't cut workouts short and if I am feeling this way on the bike..... then I need to listen. I have been putting in 250+ cycling miles per week the past few weeks. This was bound to happen.

I thought of calling Curt to save me..... but I knew he would laugh and hang up as he'd remind me that it was my own bright idea to take on 3 Ironmans in 18 months.

If only Ryan lived closer I could call him up and say "FTP, VDOT, Chart, Carbon Fiber, Aero and Disc wheel... knowing he'd come to the rescue. You know true friends when you meet them.

For the record i would not call Marit because she'd rhyme every single damn word with Ironman Cour D'Alene (I can't even spell it but she'd freaking rhyme it) and I am trying to avoid her as much as possible ;-)

So I rode home. Jumped into the shower and jumped into bed. It's not often I can do that. It's also not often I can move the long ride till tomorrow. A redo. Another chance. This week I am really lucky to be able to do that.

The day I look forward to most is Sunday. The Latte Ride. We did it last year and we are doing it again this year. It's nothing special.... lasts about 5 hours.... we start at the Park, ride to Naples and have some coffee at the Grainery before coming home. It'll be nice. It'll be easy. It'll be the second long ride of the week.

But like I said before it's all part of the plan.

4 comments:

rr said...

Come on out - training camp at my house!

Way to listen -- and avoid digging the hole. I have never, ever rode 250 in a week, and you're doing it repeatedly? I would be tired too. Recover well, you'll come back stronger.

You were so right on my blog - if crack would fix it, I would do it.

Wingman said...

So now I know to make you crack we need to change the heat index about 35 degrees over a 3 day period, have you sh*t on a few people's lawns and ride 300 miles a week; I think Coach T now needs you to run with ankle weights - you're just not working hard enough :)

Jen said...

love the picture of the eggs~ hang in there!

Marit C-L said...

Good call Miss Mary Sunshine! You did the right thing - a nap IS good.

Now, you KNOW you can call me any time. And I won't mention IM CDA.

Much.

Seriously - :)

If you want more rhymes, I'll do my best. I promise. I've got a bunch more up my sleeve.

It will be fun... think Gulf Coast except I'll be actually participating! :) :) :)