Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back To School...... BOO HOO

I was reading a terrific post of Kerri's and she mentioned school starts in 5 days. Ha ha! I laughed, we don't start till Sept. I felt bad for poor RR's kids because they start in the beginning of August!


Ha HA! I laughed. SUCKERS!

Until I read the date. August 25th???? That's not next week..... I have the whole month of AUGUST left to play.......

Shit. It is August 25th. Which means I have one week left after this one.

Shit. Not only is my little man in second grade..... how the hell did that happen?????? I am back to school myself. And man I love school weeks 1-3 and I hate it the rest of the way. But I have three years to go and RR is doing a great job of convincing me..... actually planning on me coming to teach at the University of Hawaii.

Give me something to dream about when I am riding sweet spot rides in the garage in the dead of winter in the middle of a 10 credit semester.

Summer can not be over. IT CAN NOT BE OVER!!!! We've been hanging at the beach. We've been riding bikes. I get to be 7 years old again and especially now that I am back to physical health I am treasuring every single second.

Today we spent the day at Roseland Water Park..... we have so many things to do around these parts!!! It's a small water themed park and we had a blast! Water slides, water slides and more water slides. I am a water slide fanatic and so are the guys.

But today it was just Luc and I. Screaming, laughing, getting sunburnt. Practicing body surfing in the wave pool. Our eyes beet red. We were in the wave pool so long that Luc's "Thumb Toes" have blisters on the bottoms of them.

And here he was on the way home...... to which I always think "I WON!"
Realizing the end of summer makes me sad. I am a summer kid. Luc is a summer kid. Curt is a summer kid. We love being barefoot and we love being in the sun. We love all that involves water and we love to live on the wild side of water.

I know these days won't last forever. I fear they won't last forever. The days of crawling into bed with us because he's afraid of thunder. The days of riding his bike, stopping and calling back "I love you MOM!". The days when upon leaving the park he says "Thanks for taking me to Roseland MOM!"

The days when he tells me I am the coolest Mom in the world. Someday 18 years old will come. Some day college will come.

I just don't want it to come too soon.

I have always loved summer. I always will love summer. I don't want it to end. I want an endless summer where there's always a bit of sand in our shoes, where there's sunburnt noses and where there's late nights and early mornings. Where the sun is always shining and the pool is open for swimming. Where swimsuits are the uniform...... and we are always running out of sunscreen.

And when there are races which in our world are much like family reunions.
But wait...... there are still plenty of races to go, fun to be had and dreams to be caught.

So you threaten me fall, you threaten me school, you threaten me little yellow school bus. You come rolling down on me all you want but one thing will remain..... I will make sure summer stays here just a little bit longer.

2 comments:

rr said...

OK, you so need to move here. Yes, we're on year-round(ish) school, but the weather is ALWAYS SUMMER!! All the more reason.. I even have a second grade boy for Luc to play with.

Enjoy the last week of play time!

Beth said...

I get so sad when summer is over too! (and I don't even have to go back to school like you!) But it sounds like you've had an amazing summer thus far and it ain't over just yet!! Hope you, Curt and Luc enjoy!!