Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Oh Canada

(I had to temporarily delete my swim helmet pictures because I wrote this first and couldn't figure out how to change the order.... they will be back!)

My favorite race in the world is Ironman Canada. Curt did it in 2001 and I signed up for 2002. When we returned home from that trip 9/11 happened and I didn't get back on an airplane for four years. I had my spot changed from IMC to Ironman Lake Placid.

In 2003 when I qualified for IM Hawaii at IMLP I told my husband I didn't want to go. But if the choice at the finish line would have been Kona or Canada.... I would have jumped at the chance to race IM Canada.

I still would.

I someday will. When I can fly out there to sign up for the damn race!

I think it is the most beautiful Ironman race on the face of this earth. And this year I will be on the edge of my seat, biting my nails, throwing up on the hour as I watch one of the best female races unfold on Ironman dot com. Please let there be no issues with Ironman dot com that day or I will die. Completely die.

The start list is full of incredibly talented females who need a spot to Kona. And who all have a wicked chance of being #1. In fact this might be the one race that if you study the splits of these ladies it is more than feasible that there could be six of them battling for the top spot at mile 22 of the marathon.

Besides Hawaii this might be the most exciting race of the year. If I could name my dream job it would be race day commentator. What I would do to be in the lead vehicle watching this all unfold.

How will it unfold? My heart rate rises just thinking about it.

Let's take a look at some of the players, their strengths, their weaknesses, their chances: and for the record I stole pictures from their websites. No permission ;-)

The favourite: Lisa Bentley 11 time Ironman Champion


Strengths: Lisa is an eleven time Ironman Champion, and Ironman Canada is her race. It's her favoutire (please note my Canadian spelling). It's her home country. She knows the course like no one else. Her experience, her talent, her amazing strategy and insanely positive mental attitude get her through anything. She's tough as nails and she has the biggest smile in the world. She took a light racing year to heal an injury, so she may turn her weakness (overracing) into her strength. By this time in her season she's got at least 1 or 2 Ironman races under her belt. This may be the first year she comes into this race rested. Now that could be scary. She will run as fast as she has to do come through that finish line first.

Weakness: It's almost funny to say that any of these ladies has a weakness. I suppose you could say her bike..... but she's been steadily improving, and her swim is right there as well. Her weakness might be that she did have an injury, but she's healed and she's rested. Maybe age? At 39 years old she appears to be fitter than ever.

The Under Dog: Desiree Ficker 2nd place 2006 Ironman Hawaii


Strengths: Being the underdog seems to suit Desiree well. Her fans have been on the fence on whether her 2006 Ironman Hawaii performance was the real deal or a lucky day. But remember in 2006 no one gave her even a top 10 prediction. Desiree has improved her awesome run with her Olympic Trials focused marathon training. While it seemed to impact her swim and her bike she's teamed up with Carmichael Training Systems and you'd better believe she will be ready. She's hungry for a good Ironman race this year and she's hungry for Kona. She's got a good head on her shoulders and she finishes what she starts.

Weakness: She focused so much on her run, has her swim bike combo weakened? Nutritional issues took her out of IM CDA, are they resolved?

The Dark Horse: Bree Wee; First Ironman ever was Kona, #1 Amateur. Fastest Amateur ever!


Strengths: Bree's first ever Ironman was a 9:46. In Hawaii. Bree's second ever Ironman was a 9:37 in Japan. There's something special about this Hawaii native. She lives and trains in Kona so that means she's good in heat, humidity and wind. She's got the passion for it, she's got the talent for it and she's got the hunger to race in her hometown (Kona). Her swim bike run combo is amazing and as of yet we haven't seen her show any real weakness. She runs a 3:00 marathon in the Honolulu marathon and claims she makes pacing errors yet still runs a 3:17 or less in an Ironman. I think she will be a surprise factor in this race. Don't forget she's a Mom too, which means she knows how to maximize training.

Weakness: Now this is a reach...... the only weaknesses for Bree is her "run pacing" (pulease!) and (this is a big reach) the fact that Ironman Canada is not on an Island, which is where Bree races at her best.

Others to watch out for:

Belinda Granger.... need I say anything more? She's one of two women to ever beat Bentley on her home turf. She's set for Kona so she can relax if she needs to!

Andrea Fisher: To five placings at Ironmans all over the world. Bronchitis soldelined her last year but don't count her out!

Rebecca Preston, Lori_Lynn Leach, Amanda Balding, Heather Wurlete, Deanna Frank, the list goes on and on and on. One thing is for sure, this will be the race to watch for som many reasons. Who will go to Kona? Who will win this legendary event? Who will come out on top and will Ironman dot com please not fail me?

8 comments:

Meredith said...

Go Wee....All your bloggers want YOU up there in front....

Pedergraham said...

That is great commentary. I enjoyed reading your "take" on the ladies. I have never been to Western Canada before and it is on the absolute top of my list. I am keeping my fingers crossed too for good live coverage!
-Danielle

Ashley said...

Hey Miss Sunshine... thanks for this post. You got me all sorts of excited!! Love all the press. Can you please do this for the Olympics too ;)

rr said...

GOOOOO Wee!

You know blogland has a favorite. I think she's going to take it all.

I too would love to do that one someday.

BreeWee said...

This is so funny... I saw an earlier thing about IMC being one of the most intense fields yet with all the chicks going for spots, but it was Preston who had the spot you gave me.... oh you are too nice! LOVE how much you LOVE IMC, it sure got me excited to see it and race it and now I will think of you!

You really should be a live commentator!

Karen said...

I'll be watching IM Canada on my computer here in Kona, rooting for Bree Wee. She's one of the nicest person I know and a true friend to anyone and everyone she meets.
It will be a great race with some of the best athletes in the world.

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Go Bree! We so much want you to win this!
A question to Miss Train-This: How many slots is Ironman giving to the chicks this year?

Mel said...

OH BREE ALL THE WAY BABY...SHE IS STRONG IN ALL 3 DISPLINES..and SHE wants that SLOT:)