Monday, August 11, 2008

Vive Le USA!


I am so tired this morning and I believe it is for the greatest reason ever. I stayed up late. So did my husband. So did my 7 year old son.

We stayed up late because every four years swimming takes center stage. every four years we get to see things we don't get to see in hockey, football or the other mainstream sports.

Every four years we dive in, we hold out own breaths for the most exciting races in the entire world. And last night was no exception.

If you live under a rock you missed the greatest race in the history of swimming. Click here to have your heart jump out of your chest. Close the office door, get our your USA pom poms and get ready for three minutes of jaw dropping arm flailing SWIMMING.

While I am the number one Phelps Phan in the world, don't forget that this was not a 4 X 100 meter relay. This was the men's 400 freestyle relay. The difference? It's not four guys swimming 100 meters each. It's four teammates achieving a dream by swimming the fastest 400 meters ever.

Watch the world record line and watch how they completely smash it.

Do you know who Jason Lezak even is? There are four guys who stand behind Phelps. Four guys who swam not just their assess off last night but they swam from their hearts.

Study the last 25 meters of this race and listen to Rowdy Gaines state how this feat would be impossible. There was more than wizardry and box of hurt style pain going on in that pool. It was swimming straight from the heart and proving that the impossible was damn possible.

The French said they were there to smash the Americans. The Americans stood quietly and used that as fuel to stage the biggest upset there ever was.

And my boy Phelps got off his gold medal podium last night to shake the hands of the four frenchies who came up short. Damn classy if you ask me.

So what does this all represent?

Sport can tie us together. As community, as athletes, as people and as a nation. Tell me with honesty that your heart rate does not elevate as you watch this particular race. As you watch the Americans as the underdogs charging through the door and nailing that wall first.

While we got that gold medal, it isn't the medal that is the important lesson. It's smashing through barriers. On paper it did not seem feasible that this relay team could defeat the French. Screw what's on paper. On any given day anyone can be the victor. What it takes is very simple. Play all the head games and mind tricks that you want. I believe it comes down to one simple theme.

Believe that you can.

We, including me, make it much more complicated than that. We think it out too much and get caught between our ears. That's our most dangerous place.

What do you think was going through Jason's mind as he closed that gap on frenchie last night? I think I can safely say that he will try to tell you he was thinking of something..... but in reality he was not thinking of anything at all. He was just F-Ing swimming his damn ass off.

So keep it simple. Believe in yourself and go from your heart. You've prepared, you are ready and that's all you need to know. Use this awesome Olympic experience to refuel and recharge. Get your American Flag and come on over to our house because we watch it real time.

When Nathalie Coughlin takes that backstroke start and accidentally hugs the lane line I am screaming at her to straighten out. When Pearson takes his long strokes I am cheering him to keep his head down.

When Phelps is swimming..... sorry neighborhood but I am right there in the cube with him, screaming at him.

My heart stands still at the same time that it beats uncontrollably. I reach when they reach, I don't breathe when they flip turn.

And yes, I bawl my eyes out when I hear our national anthem and I see the looks in their eyes as they bring home Olympic Gold. So come on over, you are at home with us! We will stay up late and scream loud and at 5am when training begins we will be tired but it will be worth it.

We are experiencing history and we are experiencing a unification that goes beyond anything. And means more than a medal. It brings us back to who we are. Athletes, people, a community...... a Nation. GO USA!

6 comments:

Meredith said...

Yeah USA! Right on...I am with you, I couldn't believe Gaines' commentary just when Lezak passed the Frenchie to take GOLD! It was so freakin' awesome! How deserving they are of that medal! I don't want the swmming to end.........:)

Trigirlpink said...

The Cube... don't cha just love the Cube?? I want to JUMP in that pool!

When all those demons come knocking on race day, I'll think of what you've posted. Keep it simple, and get it done! Awesome post.

wiley said...

What an incredible race!
When Phelps flys it makes me think of yoga. His alignment is perfect!

rr said...

I so wish I had TV.

Damie said...

I know...I was up late last night too and then couldn't sleep from the adrenaline of watching that race. Aghhh!!!!! It was awesome! The warm fuzzy team feeling I got gave me chills. I think in that last 50 meters he said to himself- f-it, go! And that is why you should never, ever give up until you cross the line. I love it!

Missy said...

You captured the feeling perfectly! I love the video of Phelps as he's watching that last 50 meters. What a great 'olympic' moment!