Monday, August 4, 2008

The Short Version

This weekend was the USAT Sprint Triathlon National Championships, right in our own backyard! TOO SHORT FOR ME...... but perfect for so many amazing Western new Yorkers who would have never thought of going to Nationals if it wasn't in their own backyard.


The Cayuga Lake Triathlon typically boasts a Sprint and Intermediate distance race but since they were awarded with nationals this year.... they had the sprint. Jane Miller, race director extraordinaire put on a first class event.... as always.


This race must go on your to do list. The wave starts were perfect, the course was stunning, the venue, just awesome. One of the most beautiful races in the country.


I had the honor of being the spectator this week as my husband, my athletes and a bunch of my friends races. I learned that CJ is my number one blog fan and that he's dying to be a topic. I promised him no more Ironmans for a while and that someday soon I would join him in an adventure race. I can climb, I am not a whiner and I could eat a power bar that I have peed on. And I am GREAT on no sleep. I'm a nurse..... an adventure race on no sleep would be a vacation compared to that!

My athletes races their hearts out, they did amazing. My husband earned himself another medal at a National event, this time the silver. Between you and I he lost the gold in T1 wrestling with his wetsuit. But he lost to his longtime friend Dennis Moriarty and it was truly bittersweet hearing them recount the race. Dennis commended Curt's running surges and prayed that Curt didn't see how was about to vomit. How Curt took over that bike course but Den ran strong.

So many amazing folks, many of whom I knew and didn't know approached me and asked how my head was. I felt a rush of kindness, even my doctor who raced the race herself, checked in to see if I could now spell world backwards.

For the record I have it memorized.

Once we arrived home it was time. Sunday was the day I was allowed back on the TT bike, back on the roads. No more sneaking around.... if I were the sneaking around type..... this was the real deal.

It felt more than awesome to be on the bike. If felt like I came home after a long long trip. My bike felt like a part of me again and I smiled the whole time. I took my typical 2 hour 10 minute route. I rode from how I felt, looking for steady. While I rode with the Ergomo I never looked at it. I just relished in the ability to hit the roads again.

It's been a long 2 weeks. The concussion gave way to the news of another small health problem I was dealing with for about 8 weeks, yet I didn't know it. Nothing dramatic, just a little deficiency that as I looked back on the workouts and races..... the flat feeling I had wasn't from Ironman preparation. It was something completely overlooked.

So as I continue to heal I continued to ride yesterday so happy and so grateful. I rode steady and finished the loop in less than 2:00. Feeling fresh and feeling excited. Smiling from ear to ear.

As I pulled into the garage I exhaled a big exhale like the weight of the world has been removed from my shoulders. I am healthy and I am able. I might not be cleared to race this weekend, likely not, but one thing is for sure. I will be back soon and I will be back with hunger!

Stop back again tonight for some pictures from Nationals!

3 comments:

Cy said...

Sounds Like an amazing ride, and great great appreciation for the ability to do it!!

SWEET-Mary's back!

Meredith said...

Oh good old Jane Miller...who i haven't seen in at least a few years!! I love the CLT!!! I miss all of my Ithaca homeys, esp. the Getzin/LaFace crew!! what a cool fam!!

You are building back one ride at a time. Go Mary, go....

PS- Whatya know about UofR's PA program? think I may apply there..I really miss Upstate NY

PJ said...

That must have been a great ride. I can hear the happiness in your words and it's good to hear!