Sunday, August 24, 2008

Wegmans!

So glad I have a long trans-brick this morning, else I'd be glued to my computer while the Ironman Canada bike is happening. I mean in the time I complete my 3:30 workout...... they won't be done with the bike, so I can relax.


All eyes are on Ironman Canada this morning and I am so very much hoping for a 1-2-3 finish for my favorite three ladies..... Wee, Bentley and Ficker. I don't' even care what order but if I had to pick three for the three Kona spots..... they'd be my choices.

And as I look down the short workout I have today compared to what I was doing two months ago I am smiling. I have forgotten how much I love this 70.3 stuff. Long enough for a taste of long and short enough that the day with the boys still exists.

Best part yet is that my RIT pool opens up today so tonight...... we shall swim.

The day's most exciting news however has one word..... WEGMANS. Rochester = Wegmans. It was born here, it was raised here. The Wegman family has created an amazing store with an amazing culture..... people come from all over to shop here.

A few miles from my house remains the last existing "small Wegmans" (or one of them). This store apparently has been around for 49 years. It took me all of 20 minutes to grocery shop there. Across the street they built a biggie, and it opened this morning.

So at 7am Luc rolled out of bed with excitement, because today was opening day. It wasn't insanely crowded like I expected it to be, but the whole town was there. The kids and faces who worked in "small Wegmans" were all still there. They were beaming with excitement.

Being a new and bigger Wegmans means the Organic section is its own small store itself. Which means I no longer I have to take a long drive to buy my beloved Acai Berry. The Acai Berry is a frozen berry from the Amazon packed with the best of the best. My awesome yoga studio makes this little diddy called the Acai Bowl, and I get it as often as I am there. Now with Acai within 2 miles of home, I will likely have it every day.

Here's the recipe with a few added touches.... it is a great way to start the day:


1 Packet Acai Berry

1/2 Cup of soy milk (also good is Almond milk and even Hemp milk. Yes, Hemp milk)

Blend these two together. Pour into a bowl. My favorite things to add:

Pureed Mango right on top.

Blueberries and Strawberries.

You can add a scoop or two of Granola if you'd like.


The great thing about nutrition, is when you eat well, you feel well. When you eat well you recover well. When you eat well your perform well. When you eat well, you function well.

The secret to feeling, performing, recovering well is within our hands. It is never found in a capsule or a special drink from a canister. The best food is whole food. Bottom line.

But that's another post..... for another day.

Back to Ironman Canada...... GO WEE!


2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh Acai berry how do I love thee?
Mary what kind do you buy for your bowl the packets you mention? i usually buy the pure juice for my smoothies but im wondering what you use.
see you soon!

Mary Eggers said...

Amanda..... I buy the frozen pack.... it comes in a 4 pack in the organic section at Pittsford and now Henrietta Wegs. We actually sell the packets at Breathe too..... we just have to ask!