Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Happy Anniversary Curt!!!!!

If you know anything about XTerra Athlete Jamie Whitmore, click here for an update on her status. Join me in sending words of encouragement, and help her get nominated for an Extreme Home Makeover as she's been through quite a bit of surgery and could use some home adaptations. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Does it get any better than this? Are you on the edge of your seats every night or what? as your most dedicated #1 Phelps Phan here is last night's great race.........



I almost forgot, I am a terrible wife, but Happy Anniversary Curt! It's been 8 amazing years and I can only hope for another 75!!! At least! Our anniversary was yesterday. Believe it or not, I have no digital pictures of the big wedding day.

Back in the day before digital was mainstream..... there was this thing called FILM........

But here is where we were a year ago on our 7th anniversary.....

That's Luc after he was consciously sedated to set his leg after Curt helped him break it. The day after Luc's first triathlon. Our 7th Anniversary, and the one day in the eternity of me that I decide to get knock down hammered. Well the night before at my sister's wedding. So not only did I spend my 7th anniversary barfing my guts out, I missed a run in my 14 day running camp and then Coach T made me do a double run that week..... and we were in the Peds ED (where I work) with a horrid hangover and a broken leg!

Here's the fracture...... it's a big one.....


But the even funnier part in the long run was that Luc had open heart surgery at age four and Curt broke Luc's leg 8 days later, wresting. I was out running. Yes, it was terrific to take Luc to his first post op appointment for his heart..... with a cast on his leg.

So it's been 8 years of bliss, 8 years of fun, 8 years of amazing things. But I still will come back to the fact that he broke Luc's leg twice. And he's never gone faster than me in an Ironman (yet, but doesn't it sound cool to say I wifed and chicked my husband? Glory days........). But he's a billion time National Champion and he will be 53 years old tomorrow and kicks the butt of 20 something guys around here. And he kicks mine by lightyears!

And yes..... I am 34 which does make him old enough to be my Dad. When he was a senior in high school I was pooping my diapers and guess what? I am still shitting myself. So big deal. The age difference bothers people at times. Which I love because this isn't their life. It's ours.

Curt is one amazing guy. He's one fabulous husband. He's one hell of a Dad. And I am really really proud that he gets to call me his wife ;-).... I mean to call him my husband. :-)


So here's to you Curt..... not just for the best 8 (actually ten, because I didn't meet him on my wedding day) years of my life. For being my best friend, my partner and the wind beneath my wings. For giving me the gift of a family, a home (and I don't mean the house) and a place I crave to come home to. I am not just lucky, I am blessed and I am honored to share so much more than a last name. But a life.

7 comments:

Mel said...

Beautiful/funny little write up...I DO think you put a tear in my eye, but I don't know if it was from you saying you still shit yourself or from all the lovey-dovey kind words you described Curt...Happy Anniversary to you both :)

BTW: age is just a number!!

PJ said...

Happy Anniversary to you both!

Meredith said...

Shitting your pants..too much fun! I love it! Age is really only a number...you can find love anyway, anywhere, anytime, any decade.....And I think we may just have to duke out the "Phelps Phan" title, I am planning to get a date as soon as he is back in the USA....heheheheheheh

kerrie said...

happy anniversary and thanks for the reminder, lol. i think that ours is coming up...now i just need to remember the date.
as for phelps, he is fast but i don't think he is that hot....however, that ryan lochte kid who was on the 4 x 200 relay with him is pretty cute;).

Laura said...

Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing it with us! You have no idea how much I needed to see a successful relationship with an age difference! ;)

Amanda said...

Mary,
What you wrote about Curt is exactly why everytime in yoga that you play the scientist by coldplay I either smile ear to ear or tear up or both lol-i walked down the aisle to that song 3 years ago and hope we make it 300 more:) heres to having wonderful partners in life, and sharing our love for them through writing!
see you soon
love Amanda

Beth said...

Happy anniversary to you guys! Here's to keeping everyone's legs break free!! :)