Monday, August 25, 2008

the jump

How amazing are the girls at Splish? How amazing? Here it is the official "Hook 'em Horns" suit. 6 weeks until Austin. Austin or BUST!!!!

I don't know what it is, but the more I observe my son the more I learn. This is really turning into one hell of a "my kid is the best" blog, but the things he teaches me can transcend computer screens.

RIT's pool opened back up and the other night we went for a swim. On the way Luc told me he'd be going off the 3 meter diving board. To which I replied, "awesome!" like I always do. He always says that. He always chickens out. But he's 7 so no big deal. He will spend an hour jumping off the one meter dive and be just as happy.

When we arrived there the local age group diving team was finishing. So we hopped into the other pool for a bit. I saw him eyeing that board and I wondered if he'd actually do it tonight.

30 minutes later it was quite a scene. Luc standing on the 3 meter board terrified. The RIT men's diving coach standing on the second 3 meter diving board next to him. The other kids waiting were cheering. The entire life guarding staff came out and was on the side of the deck. The women's volleyball team was swimming laps in the third pool cheering him.

In total about 50 people were cheering this kid on. You can do it, jump, you name it they screamed it. He was smiling. All eyes were on him. I wanted to cry.

The he did it. He freaking JUMPED! And the cheers were bigger than the cheers for Phelps last week.

Two days in a row he did something major. The day before he took his YMCA swimming test for the 12th time this summer..... and this time he passed.

Kid's got tenacity.

Is he learning that from me, or am I learning that from him?

Sunday I get to race. It's a running race, I never run a road race in the summer. It's a half marathon and any hopes I had of resting were quickly silenced. A half marathon and a long run this week. And a lot of intensity on the bike.

Back to the HTFU days girl..... I thought to myself.

My husband is even thinking of hopping on board for this 1/2 marathon. Let me say this right now...... I am savoring these last 2 months of holding the Eggers Family Ironman Record. For the record..... it is a record I should not own. Curt just hasn't had the interest to find out his Ironman potential.

Until now. And I will say this..... I am so so so so so so dead. That picture to the right of Curt's head in the shark's arm? It will be me on November 5th.

So on Sunday as the starting gun goes off I plan on taking a big piece of Luc with me. As he's standing on that 3 meter board. In so many races I have fallen short. And in so many races I have reached beyond.

But typically the shortcomings are a higher number than the victories in the end. I look at Luc and how many times he failed that swim test. He kept coming back and now he's earned his right to the deep end and the slides.

He's earned his right to fly off the 3 meter board and have the world cheer for me.

I keep thinking of Michael Phelps (I know.......wipe drool from chin Mary!!!!) and I keep thinking how he was told he couldn't and wouldn't. Then how for a week he showed the world what he could do.

I shall take that with me on Sunday. The victory isn't always in the time or placing. This is a piece of the puzzle that will be finished in Austin. I have a beautiful suit on the way (THANK YOU SPLISH).... I have a great team to travel with. I have a boatload of mojo.

6 weeks to go. I am the girl with the biggest smile!

5 comments:

rr said...

I LOVE the suit.

You will rock the half.. sometimes the races you do on the tired-est legs are the ones that surprise you the most. Have faith :) Hold off the hubby!!!!

Anonymous said...

Cute Suit, Mary! Good luck at the 1/2 marathon AND I almost forgot Curt was doing IM FL!!!! Oh yeah....hee hee...hold him off your PR time! :) Cute story about Luc and him jumping in - what a boy! Jen H.

Missy said...

Are you doing the R&R half marathon in Virginia Beach? My infamous barista is doing the same race. She's run that far once in her entire life, should be interesting. Good Luck in your half!

Trigirlpink said...

Great suit. I'm assuming this is Long Horn that you are doing. Keith puts on THE BEST races, well Mooseman and Timberman here on the east coast are top notch. It will be really fun, for sure.
Too bad you didn't have the video camera in hand for the 3 meter jump! So cute!!!!!

PJ said...

Good luck at the half marathon!