Wednesday, August 13, 2008

You think I'm PRETTY!!!!!

Happy Birthday to my husband..... continuing my trend of being wife of the year in forgetting the anniversary...... I wrongly stated he was 53. He is 52. What's one silly year when you are THAT old anyways?????

If you want to learn something about anything...... an obvious scholastic choice is definitely Slowtwitch. Now if you want to see what is by far the post of the year...... it's my boy Phelps....... click here. And watch..... the next time they play the National Anthem you will see him say "I love you Mary Eggers" to the camera. Don't tell Meredith!!!!!


For some reason lately I am getting a lot of questions about my hair. Why it is the way that it is. Do I use a special conditioner? What's my product? What's the secret to my beautiful hair?

Who….. me? Are you kidding?

I certainly appreciate the compliments, but I have a terrible confession to make. There is one big secret.

Neglect.

And I didn't neglect my hair to make it look what's being called beautiful. I neglect it because I am hair lazy. I do not blow it dry (I don't even have a hair drier!), I never put anything in it, and I have 2 styles. Down and up. Not half up with a barrette. Down and up. That's all.

My biggest confession yet….. I have not had it cut in over a year. And I don’t' always brush it. I am considering going to a really swanky hair place and paying $300 for a trim. If I get my hair cut annually, then why not????

If I could successfully grow dreadlocks believe me I would. During the time of an Ironman I am frequently called mountain girl.

Now, I do have a few things that I do, that I have always done since age group swimmer days. My mom is a former beautician turned interior designer so while her beauty regimen didn't sink in, at least I listened to some of the hair care tips.

1. No blow drying ever. It helps that I have a job that doesn't require me to have some cool hairstyle.

2. No products. When did we start calling them "products" I used to call it mousse? I have none. It gets sticky!

3. No flat irons, curling irons, anything with the word Iron in it. I have one step hair and sometimes not even that.

4. Pantene. Shampoo and conditioner. Every time, all the time. I will use nothing else.

5. Conditioner in their hair before I hit the water. Don’t' apply too much or your cap will fall off. I use…. Pantene.

6. No rubber bands. Only fabric coated or scrunches.

7. I don't know if this is a tip you should heed but I can go weeks without brushing my hair. I use my fingers.

8. A simple style. Layered and no bangs. Bangs require a brush and require attention. No bangs.

Yes, it's pretty long. Yes, I suppose it is healthy. During my annual cuts the hairdresser will often remark….. "Wow, you can't even tell you are a swimmer." Which in a strange way makes me feel inferior. Does she know how many hours I long in the pool? Am I not a real swimmer because of the condition of my HAIR???????

So the next time you see a Pantene commercial and some beautiful model flipping her hair in the wind……. then realize this…… while I am as beautiful as she is…. she's got a contract……. and I am her hair double!

OBVIOUSLY!



4 comments:

Missy said...

So I'm out on the bike today and my phone rings. I answer, still pedaling and it's Sarah, the barista and she's crying uncontrollably. My first thought is that she wrecked the car...again! But no, she had a curling iron stuck in her hair! I kid you not. So here I am on my bike trying to figure a way to solve a stuck curling iron dilemma. What help could I offer "did you unplug it?" I asked.

Luckily her boyfriend left work to come over and get it out. He has to saw off the end of it and then cut off all those little brush type things to get it out.

There are definitely advantages to being an 'I don't care about hair" type hair person!

BreeWee said...

Oh my gosh, I am FAR from a slowtwitcher so JUST for you I clicked on your link... I am cleaning the mess I made dying of laughter! HILARIOUS! That is so so so funny- those guys all cheering and the photo of him all chillin' with the win!

Thanks for the laughs and GREAT eye candy... I did hear him cheer, "that was for you Mary!"

Meredith said...

Oh Miss Mary....I do love your sarcasm!!! Funny!!!!

thanks for the suggestions!!! Your hair rocks, simplicity is so great....scrubs, ponytail...ur off to work! Amen!!!!

I think I may have to say I've also fallen very hard for Lochte...his abs have me spinning in circles..

Amanda said...

thank god someone else agrees with the no blow drying lifestyle! I didnt know I owned a blow dryer till we moved and my husband said oh wow you have one of these LOL
Same for curling irons etc.
My hairdresser will flat iron my hair like once a year when I get a trim and she'll fuss and make it look so glamorous and then when I wash it (which is about every 3 days) back to my wavy low matinence i dont do anything haha. healthier is better:)
ok back to watching swimming