Monday, August 18, 2008

Where we are at

I am slowly recovering form the week of swimming. How about Snowy in the triathlon???? I predicted her to be Gold and Fernandez to be silver. I had a feeling Bennett wouldn't medal because I think London will be her time......



On Sunday I got to return to the long stuff. Well.... and I smile to myself when I think of this..... the 70.3 long stuff. On tap was a 3 hour ride and a 30 minute run. We made a day of it.

My husband went and kicked some bootie at the Sodus Point Triathlon in the morning while Luc and I ate at Cracker Barrel and practiced on his new bike....... then the guys met me down at the Lake while I took a ride.

I rode form home to Canindagua (and I will never spell it right.), rode the new Finger Lakes Triathlon bike course and then transitioned into a 30 minute transition run around the trails and the pier of the Lake.

Wonderful. It was so wonderful.

I love the changes to the bike course. I was surprised that I did as there is a great hill in the beginning that separates the men from the boys. This new version skirts the hill but the roads are awesome. One of those situations where you are ascending but feeling like you are descending. With the Lake in your view at times, corn and trees and fields all around you...... you gain the feeling of quiet serenity and the feeling of smooth and fast.

I felt happy to be riding for more than 2 hours again. Nothing special was on the agenda..... just steady wattages and enjoy.

The hard work starts next week and I can't wait for it.

Transitioning into the run was no problem at all. Most days I do every run off the bike, which is something I recommend to anyone looking to improve their bike run combo.

I got excited to race. I haven't done this race a in a bit and it's the big hometown race. I know how to race it and I can't wait to race it. It means I have to be in top form, swim bike and run..... and believe me I am getting there. The workload is steadily increasing and I find myself with an elevated heart rate in the excitement of hearing a starting gun.

Wow.... it's been almost a month. Since the DNF, since I have raced. Next week I am running a half marathon, which will be new for me. I typically don't road race in summer, that's what spring and fall are for. A road race in the summer, a really pretty one at that!

And just when I thought I'd taper and rest a bit for this one...... I should have known better. Coach T just simply has me run long twice that week. Run twice long I shall.

Today as Luc and I spent the day at the beach down in Canindagua as shown below....
I thought about how lucky I am to live where I live. I have open roads, I have 2 lakes and a thousand pools within my reach. I have tracks, trails, hills and flats. Anything you need from your doorstep or pretty darn close.
To have the treasure of 2 Great Lakes which I consider to be clean..... what a gift.
To be feeling good again..... what a gift. To have this sport to call my home...... an absolute gift!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Canandaigua.....sheesh, woman! and I only lived there for 2.5 yrs! ha! YOU ARE LUCKY! I heart Upstate NY. Life is pretty good. That rocks. Make the most of it. :)

Anonymous said...

YEAHHHH MARY !!!! Glad to see you are back...and fired up about Austin and training again and all the good stuff - woo hoo!! :) JEN H.