Monday, August 17, 2009

food log

Race report from Sodus posted below, I just wanted to get this food log up and address some questions, and make a few points.

1. This is not a low carbohydrate diet. I work with a girl who is a bodybuilder, I am not sure whether she competes in body building, or figure.... I don't know all of the terminologies of that sport. She and I joke around a lot as I know exactly when she is cutting carbs.... because she's one hell of a crank. She knows that, I tell her that. That's for bodybuilding, that's not what I do. HELL NO. You will notice I tracked the carbs, fat, protein and calories for the day also (see below). This is not a low carbohydrate diet, this is getting carbs from better sources.

2. Before I would easily live on bagels all day long. Do I miss the bagels? I really don't. The first month or so I would sneak a few in but then.... my taste changed. After the race yesterday I walked into a convenience store intending on getting something bad, a snow ball, a candy bar, something...... and nothing at all appealed to me. I walked out with a bottle of water and a banana.

3. Weight loss rate has been 1/2 pound per week.

4. Fats: notice fat sources are good fat sources!


5. I eat much too much chicken..... one goal this week is to expand that to salmon, shrimp, and other lean meats.

Here is today, and all I had in tap for today was a 50 minute swim. My training week is 16 hours this week (I tired to line the columns best I could!)


Time Food calories fat carbs protein

5am EZ bread 80 0.5 15 4
protein drink 100 15
1 banana 110 0 29 1
1 tbsp olivio spread 50 6 0 0

8am 1 cage free egg 70 4 0 6

10am pureed mango 100 0 26 1


12 noon

2 cups sweet baby lettuce 100 0 6 3
6 ounces lean chicken 150 4 0 25
1 cup broccoli 50 0 8 5
1 cup cauliflower 34 0.4 6.8 2.9
8 oz greek yogurt 160 0 18 22
1 tbsp olive oil (dressing) 120 14 0 0

3pm 1 apple 65 0.2 17.3 0.3
8 oz greek yogurt 160 0 18 22

5pm 4 ounces canned chicken 150 2.5 2 20
1/4 salsa 10 0 1 0.2

7pm apple 65 0.2 17.3 0.3


9pm protein drink 100 0 29 1

Totals:

Calories: about 1674

Fat: about 31.8 grams

Carbohydrates: about 193 grams

Protein: about 128 grams.

Remember the goal: the goal of this is a heathier way of eating. While this is the way I choose to eat, it may or may not be right for you. Don't want to give up your sweets? Then don't! Take all of this for what it's worth! And thanks for the questions!










3 comments:

runningyankee said...

first - thanks for posting :) second 2 questions.. what is EZ bread and what protein drink do you use?? thanks!!

Mary Eggers said...

GOOD QUESTION!

Ezekiel 4:1 Bread: flourless, organic and found in the Natures Market Section at Wegmans.

I use a whey protein, a mix called whey to go.....

:-) Mary

Kevin Walter said...

Quick stuff Ellie and I like that will work for you:

1) Frozen Tilapia filets. Come in a big bag from Wegman's with each fillet individually shrink wrapped. Very thin, almost pure protein, cook in about a minute.

2) Salmon Burgers. Also from Wegman's. Great on grill. Basically ground salmon with some spices.