Monday, August 31, 2009

pumpkins

There are 2 signs that Autumn has arrived. Cool morning workouts and mallow creme pumpkins. Which incidentally are not on the core diet. This is not good. It is especially not good when I walked out to my car the other morning and found a bag of mallow creme pumpkins on my windshield. Bastard! I thought although I smiled. I have a friend.... who I have been out of touch with for a long time, who will leave me this bad of pumpkins a few times per year. They knows it's my Achilles heel. What made me sadder was that I miss my friend. However.... every time they get somewhere in their life they have this insane way of messing it up and causing incredible drama. Every single time. Even with my friendship.

But the pumpkins made me laugh. Those were some fun training rides back then.

The pumpkins made me think about our community. How it's growing and deepening. How on my team we are like family. Yesterday was no exception as Ken was down in Louisville. He had an incredible day, a perfectly paced day which earned him an 11:48 in his first Ironman. From broken neck to Ironman.

All day long as I had predicted the texts and emails were flying. I declared the new rule that no one races without either Trakkers or MapMyAthlete. EVER again. I just can't take it. I spoke with Ken after his finish and the elation of Ironman just shined through.

I love that. I love that we all had our eyes on the game our hearts in the air. We all waited as each of our friends' respective days unfolded. Ryan flying his way to a 9:38 and a Kona spot (YEAH WHITE HOT) and Chad throwing down another sub 10 finish.... weeks after PLACID!

It's a day where you can set everything else aside and celebrate life. Celebrate achievement a year in the making. When we can reach out via phone, text, email, facebook..... we can reach out to one another and embrace the community that we are.

I remember the day I met Curt and how than began a long history of memories. Of good times. I am so lucky to share this sport with my spouse. Sunday was his long day. While Luc and I played he was out there in the cool but sunny afternoon chasing his Ironman, chasing himself, taking the gift of time.

As we move forward into the fall .... the arm warmers are ready. The training is lined up. I sit on the morning of a long training week full of intensity. One more week until I get to again race. This time it will be in the beauty of New Hampshire. And I will be racing for flowers (right Elaine?).

I did not eat the mallow creme pumpkins. I gave them away. It tore me a little because I didn't want to give away the gesture, but the gesture's point was taken and taken well. The days we used to eat a whole bag of those things. Good times.

Just like there are a lot more good times coming. And memories to be filed in the memory bank. The arrival of fall means that it's getting closer. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just love your blog, Mary!! Those little pumpkins are a huge weakness for me, but starting tomorrow...no sugar until Thanksgiving!! Your willpower is amazing!