Thursday, August 27, 2009

mishmash

It seems I missed the words "HILL BOUNDING" in next weeks schedule, when I for some reason thought that I'd be all endurance through Pumpkinman and then ramp up the effort. Hmmmm...... well look at some of those workouts. It appears the endurance vacation is about to be over and the build to Clearwater is game on. Starting Monday.

When I met with my advisor a few months ago outlining the degree plan for my Masters degree, it seemed a lot like my annual training plan, or histogram as the Wizard calls it. My advisor warned me however "This will be overwhelmingly difficult" he said, "You will have to curb all other activities." I smiled at him. Trust me sir, you don't know what hard really is. And I am not even talking about multisport here.

I know how many hours studying and paper writing and then eventually clinical will require. Just like I know how much time attaining a personal best and sub ten Ironman in 2010 will require. They mix, they match. I know how many hours I need to work at each of my jobs to remain financially secure and keep my savings.

I think those who falter are those who fail to look at the big picture and see how it fits together. Well, at least I'd fail. My weeks from Sept through December are outlined in terms of work and study and training. It's boring and predictable but that's how I work, that's how I roll. I know what's coming, it helps tremendously with my stress level and I do not get overwhelmed.

As I spoke with my advisor I thought "This guy needs to go for a good run. Or a brisk walk at the very least".

So with this we are about to close the door on the 2009 season and open the door on the 2010 season. This is one of my favorite times of the year with my athletes because it's where we get to take a look at how we have done, we are bringing on several athletes this next season and we are looking like our team will fill up again and fill up soon. Shoot me an email if you are interested in joining us.

I am really proud to say that I retain most of my athletes from year to year, some move on, some move into our alumni status, but most stay here. I have been really really fortunate to develop some wonderful long term relationships with this team and I can truly say that we are a team, we are a family. We've just developed a new logo and are in the process of getting a brand new batch of team uniforms, so locally you'll recognize us right away!

I get to see such changes within the athletes that I work with, not because of me, but because as their coach I get a window into their lives. I get to meet their families, get to see what they do to make life and sport function together. I get to set goals with them, I get to know them and I get to share my sport with them.

You may have won mega millions, but truly I feel like I am the one who has struck gold.

In this lifestyle that we choose to live, for me at least it is about community, it's about balance, it's about making things work. It's finding a way to live and live well, live healthy, live strong. Live to the fullest. Our way happens to be a swim a bike and a run. But it gives us passion. Your way might be to pop open a brew ha ha and light up. Hey if that makes you happy enjoy.

We pop open our brew ha ha's as well...... but don't tell anyone. I don't want to ruin our image.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, Mary! I hope all goes well for you as the semester begins!