Sunday, August 30, 2009

sunrise

The bike was loaded, power meter calibrated and the iPod was ready. As I clipped one foot in I looked outside. What was that, a brightness... a sudden brightness to the grey and rainy sky....... it was the sun! As quickly as I could I strapped on my helmet and pulled the bike off the computrainer. Maybe I would get some road time after all rather than spend 3 hours and 38 minutes on the trainer. In the summer!

Hallelujah!

The ride was great. Unexpected sunshine, parameters met, roads I have not ridden much, just wandering west, then east, then south and then north. Hills, flats, curves, straightaways. There aren't many of these left so I was taking it all in. The greenery, the good roads, the farmlands..... the houses where weddings were being held, the sound of children laughing and playing.

I promised myself I was not going to feel guilty about this ride. I promised my husband wouldn't either. "Take a break" he said. The greatest gift you can give to me sometimes is four hours to myself. Especially during these 2 and 1/2 weeks when I am literally doing it all.

As I transitioned off the bike and onto the run the guys were just home after spending some man time together. As I talk with people at work and in other venues I realize every single day what an amazing father my husband is. They have their man time a lot and they need to have it. They are such buddies. And Cocoa too. I am still getting used to having a dog. She's great.

The run felt pretty good although the day was wearing on a bit. I made the mistake of taking in about 80 less calories per hour during the workout and it was showing up on the run. I had just wanted to see what would happen. I won't do that again.

As I sit here in my favorite "coffee chair" this morning in the kitchen I am trying to soak up the silence of four something am. By far it's the best time of day. I have been texting with Ken, one of my athletes as he is in Kentucky waking up for an Ironman today. After my bike and long run, a yoga class to teach and then I am plugged in to Ironman the rest of the day.

It's such a strange feeling when I have an athlete racing a far away race. I want to be there. I want him to see and hear his team as we scream for him. The texts and emails and phone calls are going to be flying today. we have a pretty tight team. We are like a family here. All thirty of us will be checking in with each other all day long. How's he doing... anyone hear.... where is he on the course....... why didn't he get Trakkers or Map My Athlete........ we will all be on edge today.

It's a fun edge. An exciting edge. Ken broke his C2 last fall in Austin. Crashed his bike, finished the race, flew home with us and went to the doctor 3 days later to find out he was a breath away from....... dead. Fracturing your C2..... not the one you want to fracture. An absolute miracle he's alive, never mind paralyzed. And here he is on the edge of the Ironman. He's come so far in so many ways. I know what he's feeling right now and what I can't wait is to talk to him later today. When the fear evaporates and the thrill of the Ironman medal is around his neck.

So today here's to Ken. And to Ryan. And to Chad. To all of the friends we have racing today. May your races be smooth, may the wind be at your back. Know that you are not alone today. Listen and listen close because in the dark miles of that marathon when you feel completely alone.... listen carefully because that roar in the sky is all of s cheering. Every time you hit that timing mat you are letting us all know you are okay.

We are a family.... all of us. That's why I love this sport!

No comments: