Tuesday, August 4, 2009

the wizard

I was looking through some pictures of the QT2 Team members, and one of the athletes labeled a picture of Coach Jesse as The Wizard. That's it, I thought. That's it. Study their results, I guess I can now say our results. My QT2 "manual" is now a three ring binder full of all of this masterfully created system, program, lifestyle. Coach Jesse is certainly the wizard.

Because I am a nerd I looked up the definition of wizard and found this:

1. One who practices magic, a sorcerer or magician
2. A skilled or clever person.

There are few unknowns in this program. Look at their results from Ironman Lake Placid. I say it every single day that I am very very blessed that this team and this coach took me on. There are many athletes far more talented than I am who they could have taken and they took me. Thank you Coach Jesse and QT2 for believing in me. This guy is absolutely the wizard. A bunch of QT2 folks will be in Kona..... watch them. Watch them.

Training continues to roll along. Nutrition continues to roll along. I am consistently suprised by this nutrition program, the simplicity, the healthiness of it and how it rubs off on my family. I am discovering new foods each day.

One of my favorite new afternoon treats is:

Mangoes + blueberries + grapes + blackberries + strawberries.

That may seem simple to you, but it is something I have had to learn.

One thing I am astonished by is that..... this is not the way that we eat as a society. Especially, especially for the kids who are in the hospital suffering from eating disorders. What is the typical diet for many of them?

Ensure. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Yes they are there in crisis, they need to have calories in and quickly. This system, call it eating in the core, call it the Paleo Diet, call it whatever is the exact program they need. Deprived of micronutrients and vitamins and minerals that would bring healing and bring it quicker. I recently consulted with the physician who leads the dept in our area..... and he agreed.

Good nutrition takes time and it takes planning. Once a week I am in the kitchen for 90 minutes chopping veggies and fruits and preparing meals for the entire week. I take the time on Monday to prepare for the next 7 days so that I stay on the wagon. I don't ever want to be off the wagon. I FEEL TOO GOOD. That's just in the non athletic part of my life even.

I continue to roll along here. Under the guidance of the wizard, following my plan, doing what I am told, eating in the core, and being very patient. I know my time is coming. I have proven to myself that this system works in my Musselman performance. What many people don't realize was that race was calculated, planned, nothing left to chance. What was displayed in terms of what some may deem a slower time was really in fact planned to the T. I was back in a 15 hour training week the following week up in Placid.

Onward!

1 comment:

Go Mom Go said...

Thanks for the reminder. I have been struggling with eating and have got to get this junk in my trunk off. :)