Thursday, August 13, 2009

look out johnston

This is from Spring Forward 2008, that's Travis Earley on your left and CJ (Carl Johnston) on your right. The old guy. Me in the middle. We are all BFF. Totally.

I was in the store the other day when I ran across a fellow triathlete. They heard I was racing in Sodus on Sunday..... what was my strategy, who was I there to beat? What is the plan?

What's the plan? Um, it's a sprint race. There is no strategy. Go as hard as I can. Who are you there to beat???? There to beat? I don't know who is racing! I am there to beat myself. They were not satisfied with that. I think what they wanted was a name, a war, a smackdown. So I gave them a name.

Johnston. I said. I will be there to take down Johnston. A strange look came back at me and I repeated it. Carl Johnston. You tell him I am coming for him.

Disclaimer: if I had a chance at taking down Johnston .... okay I have no chance in absolute hell of taking down Johnston......

People go to races for different reasons. People race under different motivations. For some it's a podium spot and for others it's time. I am one of those time people. I look at the course, try to figure out (with the wizard of course) what I should be able to do and then I try to nail that.

Let's say I was really actually coming to hunt down Johnston. So I get myself all worked up for it, ready, drooling at the mouth for the win...... I think that makes me a little, I don't know..... crazy? Will it really make a difference at the end of the day if I take him down? Some people are like that, if they beat so and so..... then they have suddenly arrived in the world! Then on race day I am so focused on kicking his ass that I can't even be nice, or if we do speak then I have an agenda.... what's going on with him, how can I get inside of his head..... (oh my GAWD this is a sprint race, back off girl).... then the gun goes off and I am racing for blood.

He gets a flat, drops out and is at the finish line. All of my efforts have gone to waste. All of that energy that I could have used positively just went flat.

Wow. Those people are the ones I stay away from.

Because when people show you who they are..... believe them.

Instead I approach racing so much differently. I go by time because I can control time, I can not control Johnston. I can not control people. I might see the lake is wavy, I know how much time that will add on. Wind on the bike? I know how I can use it. Run? I know what I need to run to hit the goal we have set. Whether that earns me fourth, first or last it's energy better used...... for me at least.

I just love all of the people I get to race with (even Johnston) that I can't get caught up in trying to beat a certain person in order to falsely elevate my own self esteem. I think we are all out there to better one another's game. I think we are all out there to push each other, to laugh with each other, to have...... fun.... with each other.

I target my husband at Ironman Florida..... because man if I can finish an Ironman with one of my heroes in life and in sport I will pass the heck OUT! It would be a day of him convincing me that I could, that I can, that I will.....

Isn't that what this is about?

I ignore the top athletes who claim they don't train at all and consistently win races and run 5 minute miles. Why be ashamed of your training and your ability? Why hide behind your competitive nature and claim it doesn't matter? It matters, it's fun, don't let it be personal, let it help you in your own personal game. I ignore the athletes (and some have said it ...) whose goal is to beat me.

Because this is just a sport. In sport we have the opportunity to live out our own dreams and reach our own goals. If your ultimate goal in life is to beat Mary Eggers....... geez...... I would have to say..... get a life, and don't teach that kind of stuff to your kids!

I will tell you that on Sunday should the women begin first I am aiming to not let Johnston catch me before the end of the bike. Those are the fun goals to have. He knows he is in the chase and the game has begun. He's an old friend (and an old man) who knows he can push me to a better game. It's not personal, it's freaking fun!

Those are the athletes I stick with. Have a little fun, talk a little smack, at the end of the day we will laugh on the beach, trade stories of how close I came, or maybe I will even hold him off till I hit the run (dream)...... or I will marvel at how fast he is at his age...... and it will be fun.

If it can't be fun...... I don't get the point!

2 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Absolutely! So true Mary, I couldn't have said it better myself :) Enjoy the race and GOOD LUCK! Go and have a BLAST!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

I love this post, a great way to look at things and more importantly the best way to stay motivated - race yourself! Too bad people can't relax and just have fun.. have a great race!